How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2007, 09:27 PM

Default MIDI Librarian/management software

Hey folks:

Just a shout out to get some opinions on current software available for editing MIDI instruments from the desktop.

I had used SoundDiver on my old NuBus system and it worked ok on some things. But from scratching around I've found they are no longer doing anything.

Sooooo, give me a few ideas...I've got Roland software for those boxes and it's ok but I'd like something that is more universal and easier to get my head around.....

Thanks in advance,

J Fred in Nashville
Old 12-06-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Re: MIDI Librarian/management software

I've yet to try out the demo, but would appear the only company continuing where SoundDiver left of is:
http://www.squest.com/Windows/MidiQu...est-About.html

And for patch name (midnam) generation, which I used heavily to sort out all my external MIDI gear, try:
http://www.alterspective.com/cherrypicker/

Hope that helps.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:14 AM

accesion;

thanks for the links...i'll check them out and repost the results.

it seems like it is not a growth industry with all the softsynth stuff available but the old hardware stuff really has the snap that the virtual synths don't have to my ear.

cheers

J Fred in Nashville
Old 12-08-2007, 02:23 AM

Quote:
it seems like it is not a growth industry with all the softsynth stuff available but the old hardware stuff really has the snap that the virtual synths don't have to my ear.
Yeah, I agree, it's not a growth area at all anymore.

As for hardware vs software, all my hardware are either virtual analogue, digital additive, ROMpler, or FM, and I'd argue a computer that can power 100+ plug-ins, is more than capable of reproducing my synths in software. Xpand!, while limited on the synthesis front, blows my E-Mu Proteus 2000 out of the water sample-quality wise. And I'm enjoying the use of Hybrid.

And the blind A/B comparisons I've heard between signature analogs versus their digital emulations really has myself and others who participated serious doubting their pick on which one was the analog.

Still, I won't be selling my hardware any time soon.

Cool, love to hear how you get on with that editor. Seems the biz. And now can act as a VST inside a DAW (but not sure whether it'll work with a VST-to-RTAS wrapper from within Pro Tools).