Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 03:09 PM

Default MIDI Input problem - Using Reason 3.0 w/in Pro Tools LE 7

I'm trying to use Reason on an instrument track within my session. Everything runs in regards to my controller triggering sound and recording MIDI notes; the problem is that I am unable to connect Pro Tools to the MIDI in of Reason. Reason says that the MIDI port is being used by another application.

I can't get it to use the DIGI 002 port no matter what I do...

Help?
Old 11-02-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: MIDI Input problem - Using Reason 3.0 w/in Pro Tools LE

Problem Solved. I've read many posts on the subject, none of which seemed to answer my question appropriately. Doing a Google search of the DUC brought me to an older post in which I was able to piece together some info. So between some other DUC posts and the 'Pro Tools Accelerated Video Tutorial,' here's what I got:

When you open Reason in Pro Tools (as an RTAS plug-in) and it says "MIDI Input Problem" of any sort - just ignore it.

In Reason, Go to Edit - Preferences - then go to the 'Advanced MIDI' selection...
Set your MIDI input to 'No Input,' then close out.

Go to your Mixer Window of Pro Tools and make sure that the Instrument Panel is open on your Channel Strip.
Click on the rectangle that spans the entire square and select the 'soft synth module' of choice to connect with Reason.

This will do it! Have a good time recording and playing back your MIDI. Remember to Record your MIDI track over to an Audio Track to free up your CPU; make the Instrument tracks inactive after recording the tracks to audio
Old 12-06-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Re: MIDI Input problem - Using Reason 3.0 w/in Pro Tools LE

Maybe I'm stupid but that's exactly what's happeneing to me. I don't understand your solution. I have a MPC2000xl and a Fantom X. The MIDI is going to the MPC and I can use my MPC and Fantom in Pro-Tools and Reason separately but I can't rewire them together. When I try, I can press play in Pro-Tools and Reason will play but if wanted to make something in Reason or add something to Reason, my Fantom/MPC won't work. I'm new to Reason. What am I doing wrong? HHHEEEEELLLLLPPPP!!!!!!