Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Staying Legal when selling/buying gear

I bought an mbox2pro and now I'm selling my 002R on ebay (see my post in the other board section). I had updated PT LE for the 002R to 7.3.

The mbox2pro comes with 7.1, and according to this page, I'll be entitled to a free 7.3 upgrade for it when registered.

When I sell the 002R, I transfer its PT LE license to the buyer, including the 7.3 upgrade. But I'm still legal to run 7.3 because of the mbox2pro.

Will I get a new license code? How do I "change" my LE installation to run using the new code? Do I even actually need to do that? Do I have to actually uninstall LE and reinstall it with the new code? (Which would be a pain since I also have PT-MP installed for when I just have a Transit in my laptop bag, and so I'd have to deinstall both, install 7.1 of both, then run both updaters. I know because I've had to do it once already: the LE 7.1 installer won't run if MP 7.3 is installed.)

I'm just not sure what I need to do here. The path of least resistance here is to just plug in the mbox2pro and go, since I already have a licensed and working PT LE (& M) 7.3.1 on the machine. But I want to stay within the letter of the law, even if I'd already be staying within the spirit of it.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Staying Legal when selling/buying gear

not to get off topic and no offense, but it confuses me why you might get rid of an 002 and trade in for an Mbox2? lol I would think the converters and amount of I/O's would be much more beneficial on the 002 than the Mbox2 no?

in regards to your question though, I believe your answer is yes, you will get a new license code with your Mbox2 because it is a brand new piece of hardware unless you are buying it from a previous owner in which transfer stuff would apply. So your current 002 license goes to the person you sell your 002 to, and then you register your Mbox2 with digi and use your new license to login on digi's website and download the 7.3 upgrade installer package.

goodluck
Old 03-22-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
not to get off topic and no offense, but it confuses me why you might get rid of an 002 and trade in for an Mbox2? lol I would think the converters and amount of I/O's would be much more beneficial on the 002 than the Mbox2 no?
Mostly for ergonomic reasons. In terms of I/O, I've never used more than two channels of I/O simultaneously on my 002R anyway; it's just not the sort of work I do (solo studio composition).

But also notice it's an mbox2pro and not an mbox2, which has bearing on the converters. The difference is smaller with the mbox2pro than with the mbox.

Quote:
in regards to your question though, I believe your answer is yes, you will get a new license code with your Mbox2 because it is a brand new piece of hardware unless you are buying it from a previous owner in which transfer stuff would apply. So your current 002 license goes to the person you sell your 002 to, and then you register your Mbox2 with digi and use your new license to login on digi's website and download the 7.3 upgrade installer package.

goodluck
Clearly I get a new license code. My question is really how and whether to make my installed PT "know" about that change. Obviously uninstalling everything and reinstalling will do the trick. But I'd like to know if I can reauthorize to change the license code or S/N without reinstalling, or whether I need to even bother with it.

I'll just contact digi support and ask them, I suppose; I was mostly posting here in case I could get an answer before I have an opportunity to call.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:42 AM

thats cool, goodluck with the upgrade. There should be a spot within the software to change the license code, but being Digi has proprietary software and hardware, something tells me you're going to need a clean install unfortunately.. Might want to post the question in the Windows forum though before you take any drastic measures caus someone might be better off to answer in there that has done this recently. I am still running 6.4 on my system so I am going with the "aint broke, don't fix it" motto at this point...