Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 12:40 PM

Default Dither plug ins where are they??

When i go to insert a dither plug in my master fader track I cant find any. Ive looked in the audiosuite and there are none there. I have used Maxim which has a dither on it. Ive also looked in the preferences and processing pages and is says no dither plug in available. I understand protools 7 comes with 2 dithers so where are they? Does Maxim do the same anyway?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2006, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Dither plug ins where are they??

Perhaps no-one has answered yet because they feel it is pretty straightforward, but being a new user you might be confused about a few things.
  1. there are two ways to use plugins in Pro Tools; as Audiosuite plugins, which process the actual region you have selected and apply the effect to it, and RTAS (Real Time Audio Suite) plugins, which allow you to, as the name suggests, process the audio in real time as it plays back.
  2. RTAS pugins are inserted on the tracks in the Inserts section of the track
  3. There are certain plugins that are Audiosuite only, there are certain plugins that are RTAS only, and most are both.
  4. the Dither and the POWr Dither that are included in the DigiRack are RTAS only; they do not appear in the Audiosuite list
  5. They appear in the plugins insert dropdown under the "Dither" category
These things are covered in the reference documents that came with the program, they are available from the help menu within the program, and are a really good place to start.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 12-01-2006, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Dither plug ins where are they??

Thanks for the reply, I was aware of that. Ive now solved it, I had to restore my system to an ealier time and reinstall all my plugins including all my license numbers, a hassle but my dither plugins are now available, still not quite sure why they dissappeared from the drop down list though. Cheers