Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 05:06 PM

Default MachFive rtas or htdm?

MachFive users:

RTAS vs. HTDM?

OS 10.4.1
PT 6.9.2
G5 Dual 2.5

i've been using rtas -- but that seems to not be working well anymore... htdm seems to be better... what are you guys using?
Old 06-23-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Re: MachFive rtas or htdm?

OS 10.3.4
PT v6.4.1cs3
MachFive - RTAS

Not your config, I know, but it works.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:38 PM

make sure your going thru an aux channel and not an audio channel and rtas should work great well as great as mach5 can work... don't get me wrong i cut my current movie almost entirely with the mach5 damn thing is cool but finikey.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:56 AM

Hi,

Why an aux channel? have you found a serious difference/reason to do this! doesn't this limit your following plugins??

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:36 PM

Quote:

Why an aux channel? have you found a serious difference/reason to do this! doesn't this limit your following plugins??
I have 3 systems that i use with mach5. when working in large session, with mach5 in an audio track, dragging audio to mach five would often crash protools. After much trial and error the only way I was able to correct this was by opening mach5 on an aux track, and also, converitn the sounds from the sd2 format to bwf format also seems to make it more stable.

Regarding limiting of plug-ins if i understand the question opening in a aux track should make no difference.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Hi,

This makes no different on the following plug-ins. One can have a TDM plug-in follow an RTAS, just not the other way around.

One would want to use an aux channel to instantiate Mach Five (or any instrument plug in for that matter) in order to conserve cpu power, since those guys love to eat up ram, etc. . .

As far as RTAS vrs. HTDM, there is essentially no difference. HTDM is a way of utilizing your cpu processing power (instead of a dsp chip) on an aux channel. With Pro Tools now able to instantiate a rtas instrument plug-in on an aux channel, and with the increase of cpu power to computers in general, there's not really a reason to use any HTDM plug ins.
PT 11 HDN
Omni
Old 06-28-2005, 08:56 AM

Quote:
As far as RTAS vrs. HTDM, there is essentially no difference. HTDM is a way of utilizing your cpu processing power (instead of a dsp chip) on an aux channel. With Pro Tools now able to instantiate a rtas instrument plug-in on an aux channel, and with the increase of cpu power to computers in general, there's not really a reason to use any HTDM plug ins.
What about latency?

Isn't HTDM a fixed latency (512) and RTAS is whatever your buffer is set to? I'm not certain about this, but I think I read about this somewhere. Can someone who knows please correct me? Wasn't there a tool to modify HTDM buffer at some point? I'm kinda confused on this. Thanks for any clarification.

What about stability? Is the HTDm version of Mach Five as stable as RTAS (or vice versa)?

Is there a BEST way to use MachFive?

G5 2.5DP, 6.5 gigs ram

Thanks,

jr
Old 06-28-2005, 01:42 PM

I use M5 HTDM on an Aux track. This is habit based since A) I experienced the same crash problem with audio tracks stated earlier (placing audio on a track with M5 yields the grey screen of death) and B) I was getting random crashes with the RTAS version.

I recently updated my kensington trackball drivers and it seems to have made ALL my M5 problems go away. I'll look into how M5 behaves on an audio track and get back to you. RTAS or not to RTAS...

PS - Sorry to hear about all the troubles with your liquid cooled mac. It seems that every once in a great while they churn out a turkey.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:13 PM

MachFive Tiger compatibility for RTAS and HTDM is expected to ship later this summer.