Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2017, 05:30 AM

Default Re: AVID, Please provide a complimentary extension to our AUP's

Having worked in the software business for a long time, I have to say that the software business model doesn't work: once there is a stable version that does it all, no further development is needed, and every user can decide whether or not she/he wants to implement any new version.
To avoid that and maintaining a stream of revenue, companies started to do subscription models, where actually there are no incentives to eliminate all bugs to keep the users subscribing.
Companies just need to find the balance of (enough) bug elimination, possible new features to keep the user base hooked.

Just look how many software companies try to implement subscription models, some perceived fair, others as not so fair.
Especially bigger companies try to do it, they have to cover quite some overhead costs.

Many small plugin developers don't do subscription as their costs are limited and manageable.

One example is Microsoft: how many more features do you need in Word? You still can work reasonably well in, say, Word 2000!

I personally find paying for new features without subscription more attractive, as I have more freedom to (re-)act compared to a subscription model.