Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2013, 02:45 PM

Default Registration issue

I purchased a copy of Pro Tool 10 (student version) yesterday from a large well-known store in Melbourne. I wanted to buy the DVD version instead of the Download version but had to wait a week for it to be ordered. I was informed that there was a copy that had been returned by a customer who had not yet registered the software, so I purchased that as I needed it quickly.

When I entered my information into the identit-e site it asks for my "email used for initial registration" so I'm not able to proceed with the registration, meaning that the previous customer has already used the activation code.

The store is going to be looking into it but I really need this software running this week and can't afford to wait at least another week for them to order a new copy. What can I do from here? It's such a shame that there are dishonest people like this out there
Old 05-19-2013, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Registration issue

Welcome to the community!

If you haven't already signed up for the PT10 Trial (and the copy you purchased included an iLok) you could sign up here to get a temp license...

http://www.avid.com/Trial/ProTools
Old 05-19-2013, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the fast reply!

I haven't installed any software or drivers yet. How long does the temporary license last? Will there be any issue with registering Pro Tools if I have to return this copy of the program and the iLok?
Old 05-19-2013, 03:32 PM

Check out the Trial page link I included - the Trial license is good for 30 Days.

If someone activated the software it's also possible they created an ilok.com account and added the iLok to it, so you wouldn't be able to download the license to that iLok without their login. If they didn't, you could create an ilok.com account and use that User ID for the Trial license. See the iLok FAQ for more info including how to remove an Ilok from an account.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:00 PM

Great thanks for that.

I think I'll just return this copy and wait for the other one that I've ordered to arrive. This all seems very complicated. The Trial version will get me by in the meantime. :)

I have another question however. I have an iLok that I purchased a while back which I have not used yet, will I be able to add the temp license to that iLok? Then when my new copy arrives, will I be able to add my license to that iLok as well? Or will I only be able to register it to the iLok supplied in the box?
Old 05-19-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokimojo View Post
Great thanks for that.

I think I'll just return this copy and wait for the other one that I've ordered to arrive. This all seems very complicated. The Trial version will get me by in the meantime. :)

I have another question however. I have an iLok that I purchased a while back which I have not used yet, will I be able to add the temp license to that iLok? Then when my new copy arrives, will I be able to add my license to that iLok as well? Or will I only be able to register it to the iLok supplied in the box?
You can add as many iloks to your newly created ilok account as you want. If your current ilok is not registered go ahead and create an account and register it to try out the demo for now. When your new one comes in sync it to your account
Old 05-19-2013, 09:01 PM

Ok, I'll do that. Thanks for your help guys :)
Old 05-20-2013, 04:09 PM

Pardon my ignorance again, but how do I get the authorisation code onto my iLok? I've installed the trial version for the time being but I didn't see anything about the authorisation code.

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:13 PM

Sorry, nevermind, I found it!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:30 PM

I've been in touch with the store about this issue for the past week and today I got the previous buyer's e-mail address that was used for registration to prove their student status. The store contacted the previous buyer who gave them the the email address used for the registration.

So my question is whether it is possible to transfer this initial process into my name and use my details? I successfully logged in to the identit-e website using my serial number and the email address provided, checked on the status and it says "Your verification request is on hold pending our receipt of additional information. Our latest request to you is shown below. To review the complete details of this message check your email inbox for this communication from Identit-e."

Then in the e-mail section it shows an email that was sent which says "May 9, 2013 - Secondary students are not eligible to purchase Pro Tools as stated in the requirements." It looks like the original buyer didn't get past this first step as they weren't eligible to get a licence.

The store has told me that it will still take at least a week to order a new copy (I want the DVD version, not the download version) and it seems like this would be a quicker way to get it registered, if it's possible.

Thanks again!