Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2002, 04:34 PM

Default cd backups

i am new so i am posting several questions in different post as to keep them seperate.

i am using the disk burner that came with os9 to backup my ptle files. this thing is slower then death.... and that is no lie!!! i can't believe how fast my g4 is, and then i use this program and......... i also use pc's in the studio (trying to phase then out)and they fly when backing up files to cd.

anyway, what do you guys use for cd backup. sorry to say it again, but this program is so slow, it's pathetic. i can't believe mac would put out such a program. the other night, i had 643mg of files to back up, after the 20-25 minutes it took to do it, it was verifying and then told me the disk was no good. i've never had this problem under the windows format, and i've experienced almost all of them...
oh brother, that's why i moved to the mac. i am really happy with everything on the mac but this... oh and the right mouse button i really miss.

once again, thanks for any help
Old 03-17-2002, 07:49 AM

Default Re: cd backups

Toast Roxio is one of the best programs for burning stuff on the Mac. It also depends how fast your CD burner is.

-Robert
Old 03-17-2002, 09:37 AM

I didn't know OS9 came with a burning program. I have 9.0.4. What's it called?

For data backups, I'll either use Toast (as Robert suggests) or a program called Retrospect which allows you to span multiple CDRs when backing up. Try a search for "backup" and you'll find LOTS of posts covering this subject.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 03-18-2002, 11:08 AM

it simply called "disk burner". i didn't know it was there either until i put in a cdr and that's what came up. it was an accident, as i thought the cd i put in had music on it from my pc.
Old 03-22-2002, 08:46 AM

Toast 5, although we use Diskburner also and have not had the problems you experienced. What speed are you burning at? We burn data at 4x, and it's very fast, approx 10 minutes for 700mb.

Hope this is helpful.