Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2002, 09:10 AM

Default Battery standalone vs. Battery TDM

Anyone know if you can use Battery standalone with PT via Direct Connect? I don't have a need for the other plugs in the TDM bundle so I don't care to spend $1k for it. Thanks
Old 08-19-2002, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Battery standalone vs. Battery TDM

I use Absynth stand-along with DirectConnect so I assume that battery is the same. But I believe you can only get one stereo out with Battery stand alone, with one kit up at a time. With the PT studio version you can run several Kits at once and multiple outputs.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:24 AM

One kit and one out? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] That bites. I'll have to foot out for the bundle then cause I like battery.

I'm also dying to see Kontakt. Wonder if they'll be a TDM version. Anyone know?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2002, 10:19 AM

Update to 1.1

16 mono, 8 stereo or a combination of these through direct connect

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/inde...atesbattery_us

anthony
Old 08-19-2002, 03:28 PM

NI's policy is not cool. I for one dont like Pro52 or B4 and to force us to purchase the bundle is a strange policy. Their policy is forcing me to look elsewhere. Pity as I really like Battery.

If more PT users emailed them they might get the message that we dont want all their Vi's [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2002, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chris67:
NI's policy is not cool. I for one dont like Pro52 or B4 and to force us to purchase the bundle is a strange policy. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">OK. I've probably missed something, which is entirely possible. But how is it we're being forced to buy the bundle? While I don't personally have them all, I either own or have used (at other rooms) Absynth, B4, Pro52 and Battery with PT through direct connect on TDM rigs. I've even used them on LE and PT Free. Do the stand alones not work on HD systems?
Old 08-19-2002, 07:14 PM

Some clarification:

the NI PTE collection is NOT a "TDM" collection.

It is HTDM and RTAS. It would be great if it WERE TDM, but

A: NI has no interest in this platform, and

B: these apps would NEVER run on the anemic Digi dsp-chips. The B4 alone would likely need at least three chips all by itself.
-------------------------

I personally find Battery to be a complete waste. I originally planned on using Battery for drums, and also for bass. NI specifically mentiones that you can use Battery for pitched instruments. what they forgot to mention is that there is no "instrument" level at all. there are only two levels: the sample itself, and the entire kit.

So, you can't easily set-up a bass, and import it into a new master-kit. You also can't set-up 3-4 snares across 3-4 keys, and save this as an instrument. To use such an "instrument," you would have to load all the cells seperately each time you wanted to add this to another kit.

Cumbersome, to say the least.

Another BIG gripe i have with NI: before purchasing, they recommended using Battery via RTAS., since this has vastly lower latency. This made sense to me, and made Battery seem like a better choice than S-Samplecell. However, NI neglected to mention that their RTAS versions are not available on TDM systems!

Now they tell me that they do this because of possible problems (clicks) when running RTAS and HTDM concurrently. Nice.

I have gone to S-Samplecell for drums and bass, with a Gigs-PC for the rest.
-----------

One good thing about NI: they do always respond to email queries. -Although getting real answers from them is another story completely.

Oh, and the B4-PTE is possibly worth the cost of the entire PTE collection, as you can use it as an effects processor. i have been running guitar through it. It is FAR superior, IMO, to Bomb-Factory's "Spin" model.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:29 PM
Administrator

More about HTDM plug-ins:
http://www.digidesign.com/support/faq/htdm.html
Old 08-20-2002, 06:47 AM

Wow I was completely misinformed. Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to have to rethink my sampler strategy.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:45 AM

Speerchucker do you own the NI bundle ? Maybe you need to reinstall it if you do, I am running it on a HD system and can use the RTAS versions just fine.