Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2012, 05:09 PM

Default "Turnkey" Systems on eBay

To start off, I am not in the market for an hd system but in my looking around on eBay, I have found some sellers offering "Turnkey" systems. Like this one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avid-Digidesign-Pro-Tools-8-HD2-Accel-Core-Accel-192-i-o-G5-Bundle-/230833036148?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35beb8 9b74

(can't get the link to work but type in on eBay, pro tools hd and its being sold by gsharpmusic)
Others give you an older 96 i/o with pro tools 9hd and various variations. My question for you guys is how legit is this? And if my understanding is correct, you might/might not be able to use the 192 with pt11? And TDM is now on the way out with the new plugin format.

Also has anyone ever bought a system such as this on ebay? Just doing some gear research, not intending to buy one for myself anytime soon. I was just curious. If you were starting a studio and didn't have a whole lot of money, you could basically get a HD setup for 3k! What are you guys' thoughts on this stuff?
Old 08-21-2012, 05:30 AM

Default Re: "Turnkey" Systems on eBay

Really no one has anything to add?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:36 AM

I would guess most are totally legit(look at the seller's feedback). Any time something new hits the market(HDX), whatever the old version is/was, its likely to drop in value(at least for a while anyway). Going into one of these systems can be a good value. Just be a smart shopper and do some analysis. For instance, are you concerned about future support, or updates? For some, that's a big deal, while for others, a working rig is all they care about. Heck, in Nashville, there are still some people working on Mix+ rigs...and making a living. For some clients, its not the gear, its the engineer(skill, talent, personality, how good the coffee is......).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-21-2012, 02:14 PM

i bought my HD sytsem on ebay it was the best move ive ever made... i did have my G5 already though...
Old 08-22-2012, 04:58 AM

Thanks guys! So chances are if you buy one of these you might not be eligible for upgrades. Also @albee, how are you running pt hd? Did you buy a liscense of eBay?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyluigi View Post
Thanks guys! So chances are if you buy one of these you might not be eligible for upgrades. Also @albee, how are you running pt hd? Did you buy a liscense of eBay?
Sorry, but I am not at liberty to answer that one...under penalty of death(mine, not yours). But ebay could be a good source, as long as its a "full" version and not an update(which would require a previous license or a hardware serial number which you would not have). Some folks are buying an HD/Native card with software, keeping the software and selling the card(which someone like me could buy and use, already having the software)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-23-2012, 04:41 PM

I have sold over 10 HD Systems on eBay. Do your homework on the seller, has solid feedback selling high end gear and you should be fine.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 09-08-2012, 01:12 PM

Most likely you will not be eligible for any upgrades unless the software license is new. (unopened box, fresh ilok license)
However I purchased a native card and a 192 on ebay and I saved a ton, and it was all sealed brand new...