Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 09:27 PM

Default Waves vs Fab filter

I just recently purchased the waves bundle but the fab filter full bundle looks like masterful software compared to the waves bundles. Any thoughts?
Old 05-23-2018, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Waves vs Fab filter

Which Waves bundle?(there are several). I use lots of Waves plugins, but I love the Fabfilter EQ(and its on the master track in every session I do). Fabfilter has a much nicer look(and I like that I can re-size the plugins) but I can't say that either sounds better than the other.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-23-2018, 12:42 PM

I am not going to open a can of worms on this since I'm a "whatever tool does the job best at the time" kind of guy so I will just suggest demoing and making your own decision from actual use
Old 05-30-2018, 08:28 AM

I'm an avid (no pun intended) user of both but if I had to pick one package I'd go Fabfilter 100%

Fabfilter ProQ2 is by far more flexible with a better GUI than any individual Waves EQ. In natural phase mode it's hard to beat sonically. Fab's Desser is also probably the most full featured and cleanest on the market and blows R-Desser out of the water. This stands true for pretty much all of their other plug ins.

Waves does have some nice emulations which I use for a bit of character here and there. Scheps73 and NLS find their way into most of my mixes these days. I can't live without their Dorrough meters either.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:41 PM

They are both very good. I have to say that I've been using a lot of the Schepps Omni Channel. It certainly has a vibe. Lot's of them actually.

Steve
Old 06-21-2018, 03:44 PM

I like some plugs of each maker.

Waves are good as they (Eqs and comps) all pretty much work perfectly with my D-Command's dedicated section, they do good work there. I'm not blown away by their 'analog emulations' as other plug-ins from other companies but plenty of people have used them for years and made big records with them so...

I keep a few waves plugs, some great utility stuff (meters etc), I don't like most of the GUIS on the older stuff, and even the new stuff always has laggy guis, that said I mostly use D-command for mixing so it's only an issue when I'm mousing during setup or in-depth sub mixing of a source.

Fabfiilter = Great surgical eq (Pro Q2) way nicer to use than anything waves has in that realm, and does work with D-Command but a bit less slick, Pro G gate is the best gate for me, Pro DS = highly respected desser, and Pro L2 is one of the best limiters out there. I use all of those in every project along with a handful of waves 'utlity' things like VU meters, sometimes some of their weird plugs like brauer motion, rarely an eq, sometimes a CLA76 comp. I usually prefer slates FG-Grey to waves SSL bus comp (both work great with D-Command), for tape I prefer slate over waves a lot. Other eqs and comps I use (and prefer to all of the above) are ELI Arouser (my goto comp - flexible and great sound/action), PSP E27 (awesome character EQ based on the Avedis unit), Kush/slyfi eqs like Axis (api) and hammer (another great character eq but smooth and subtle). Audified RZ EQ Is also good.

Those 3 eqs are my go tos for any itb work if not printing through my Portico II (Rupert neve) or Api hardware, and the arouser + some comps from smaller makers (fuse audio, audified etc) do most the work so stuff like waves, and moreso fabfilter is reserved for the detailed work or again 'utility' - gating, de-essing, metering... and PRO Q2 if I need surgical (in natural phase mode not zero latency!).

I personally have no interest in full bundles from either FF or waves, they both have stuff I'm not interested in (especially waves which is massively bloated with nigh on 30 years worth of stuff I'd never use nor want clogging up my slick system I run with MINIMAL plug ins!). Less plugs in PT the better for me, faster loading, less crash risk etc.

So I'll pass on bundles, I don't want/need slate's bundle either. Good bundles would be stuff from Soundtoys, Eventide (not all but most of it is cool), and maybe softube… but seriously I much prefer to just pick and choose bespoke pieces from each maker to build my own unique blend of ITB spices, rather than rely on one maker to attempt to make the best of everything.

I'd take Arouser, PSP E27, Axis, Hammer, Pro L2, Pro Q2, slate tape/fg-grey (not VMR I hate it!), Lex reverbs (LXP/PCM), eventide mod/verb FX (Blackhole/H3000/Ultratap etc) over any full waves bundle who imo have never had the greatest sound or GUIS. YMMV