Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-24-2006, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Mic directly into camera?

Quote:
my only question there now is once the raw footage tapes are passed on to the picture editor, at exactly what point (and how) does the new "good" audio get married up with the picture? this has always been a mystery to me since the bulk of what i do is broadcast mxing from/to digibetas.
Well, there are some different techniques depending on how you record the audio. If you use a device or software that records to .bwf, then you can use a program like Titan (there are others) to do a "post conform" from an audio edl that the picture dept generates from the Avid or FCP.

If you record to DAT, using the same edl, you can do a OS 9 post conform. If you do not have access to the OS 9 Post Conform software, you can always hand load the DATS to the Pro Tools timeline and then use Titan (or other) to do a conform from the edl.

If this is a short film, you can always import the .bwf takes and then hand sync with the guide track as reference. This will take longer but, is the cheapest.

Lastly, you can insist that this responsibility belongs to the picture dept and have them do match cuts and output you an omf. After all, that's what assistant editors are for.

Check out RAMPS and Boom Recorder for more info on how this all works.
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300
www.anarchypost.net
Old 04-24-2006, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Mic directly into camera?

If you do go with camera audio, do a test shoot before the actual shoot. Some of the older Panasonic DV cameras load the sound into FCP 2 frames out of sync. Some of the Sony HD cameras leave camera whine on your audio tracks. Do a test, play it back loud so you don't experience the "We never heard any of that noise in our editing suite on our cheap speakers at low level over the computer fan noise" problem.