Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-14-2000, 10:26 PM

Default C\'mon powerbook people!

there have been quite a few very informative posts on the powerbook/001 subject courtesy of
darrell diaz (thanks darrell!) but i would love to hear more about 001 users portable setups. info on hard drives (firewire?) and the magma 2-slot expansion chassis would be particularly helpful. it would be great to hear from other folks on this "bleeding edge"
of technology. high five!

palmer
Old 08-16-2000, 10:09 PM

Default Re: C\'mon powerbook people!

anybody? hard to believe there are not at least a few people out there using 001 with
a powerbook........
Old 08-16-2000, 10:57 PM

I'm looking into the pwrbk scenario mostly to run Unity live on stage and was planning to get a PC for a 001 at home because of the price,however,if it is feasable to run the 001 on the pwrbk w/out all the latency issues I would bail on the PC idea and just get a smoking pwrbk.I've heard the latency with the magma PCI interface is in the 20 second range ,definitely a pain.What do you know about this crazy stuff?
Thanks
Rob

[This message has been edited by Yid (edited August 16, 2000).]
Old 08-17-2000, 05:37 AM

I would like to see a 001-style box that attaches to the computer via Firewire instead of the pci card. (and a smaller box, too!) Yamaha is gonna do this soon (AES) with their mLan. Digi just HAS to be on this, no?

Old 08-17-2000, 04:27 PM

I reckon this Sept AES in LA should be interesting re powerbooks.

F**K! Those things are EXPENCIVE man!!!!

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 08-18-2000, 08:16 AM

I'm currently using a powerbook, magma 2 slot and a 001. I've had a really discouraging past few days. The rig has gone from functioning at 100% to not at all. I've tried many many things and can not get it to perform well for any decent period of time. I'm gonna have to get a 001 from a friend that I know works and test it to eliminate that as a possibility. I can't say I expected anything much different. If there are any other PB users out there I'd love to hear from you too to see what your experience has been. I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.

-CAL
Old 08-18-2000, 08:25 AM

Good news!

I have lots of info to pass along if you guys post the questions. I can testify that the PB G3 works like a dream. I have the Magma 2 slot chassis (I also included the SCSI accelerator for Cheetah external hard drive).

There is no 20 sec lag time. All my tracks sound very tight. You just have to remember to set the playback buffer (under hardware settups) to 128 samples...recommended for when your doing "timing critical" tracking. Well, geeze, aren't all tracks time critical?

The only concern I had with the Magma was the fans were said to be "quiet". I called my dad and he thought I was playing him Submarine SFX over the phone. Not good, but it's bareable...

The portability is great. I've brought the gear into studios, interfaced with DA-88's and sync'd by MTC. No problems there. Recorded gigs and home recording has never been so easy.

If your interested in the set-up please check out our website. There is going to be flet of us soon. E-mail and sign up. The revolution of recording...going direct to the grass roots!
http://www.theflyingdisc.com

Jules, I know I've spoken to you previously but I hope this helps everyone else who's interested...

Dave
Old 08-21-2000, 02:23 PM

cool to hear that your setup is running smoothly F.D. did you purchase the magma with a scsi card or did you use something else?
(i have an adaptec accelerator card i'd like to keep using if possible!) and sorry to hear about your problems cal. good luck and be sure
to update us on your progress.
still on the fence,
palmer