Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 12-22-2009, 10:31 AM

Default Mac crashing with 8.0.3 on Snow Leopard

Just Installed PT M-Powered on White MacBook running OSX 10.6.2 with the promise that they are compatible. Problem is the computer crashes at the very end of the PT launch sequence. Interface is Profire Lightbridge with latest driver. The Lightbridge, BTW, works fine with i-Tunes and Reason.
This doesn't happen if I run 8.0 on 10.6.2 (the computer does not crash) but 8.0 doesn't really work on Snow Leopard (no audio except on soloed channels).

Setup:
White 2 GHz MacBook
Western Digital Mybook
M-Audio Profire Lightbridge
(All via FW400 in that order)
PT M-Powered 8.0.3
Waves Gold Bundle 7
McDSP Analog Channel and Revolver
Anyone manage to run PT on Snow Leopard somehow?
Old 12-28-2009, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Mac crashing with 8.0.3 on Snow Leopard

Ummm... I believe 8.0.3 is for Intel based Macs only. Isn't your white MacBook a PowerPC based?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Evergreen Audio Design Group

Hi,

I would like to help figure out what is going on with your system/sessions.

Could you confirm that your MacBook has an Intel based processor rather than a PPC based processor?

To clarify, does Pro Tools crash or does your MacBook completely crash forcing a reboot?

In Pro Tools 8.0.3, we added better and more robust logging to help track down problems like the one you are seeing. When Pro Tools crashes, some information about the crash is written out to a log file. The log files are kept in the "LogFiles" folder that is next to the Pro Tools application.

Here's what you need to do...

1) Reproduce the crash you are seeing.
2) Look in the LogFiles folder and find the latest log file. The file name ends with .dlog
3) Email this "dlog" file to [email protected]. Please include your DUC user name and the hyper-link to this DUC thread (http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=262158) so I can track which post this came from.

If your MacBook is crashing or kernel panicing, please include the kernel panic log. This can be found in the Console application. Look in Applications->Utilities.

Please put my name in the subject line of the email.

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:42 PM

Sorry, I can't help you, but just to say that I have a MBP 13, 2,53 ghz, with snow leopard 10.6.2 and it's working ok with PTMP 8.0.3 with a fast track ultra.
I hope you'll find a solution!
Old 01-05-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwarren View Post
Ummm... I believe 8.0.3 is for Intel based Macs only. Isn't your white MacBook a PowerPC based?
Not if it's a MacBook. All MacBooks are Intel-based. It's the iBook and Powerbook that have PowerPC processors. And anyhow, if the OP is using 10.6.2, there's no way that it could be a PowerPC, because 10.6 runs only on Intel Macs.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:22 AM

Hi,
I am having problem with protools m-powered 8.0.3 and a new iMac with snow leopard. The thing is that the protools stops when is playing back a regular session. I've done everything to have better performance from the iMac but nothing solves the problem. I tried the same protools session in my old windows xp pc and it works perfectly.
In the iMac the cpu(RTAs) level is around 60%, but in the pc (windows xp) is around 30%.
could you help me??
thanks a lot

PAULO
Old 02-03-2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brown View Post
Hi,

I would like to help figure out what is going on with your system/sessions.

Could you confirm that your MacBook has an Intel based processor rather than a PPC based processor?

To clarify, does Pro Tools crash or does your MacBook completely crash forcing a reboot?

In Pro Tools 8.0.3, we added better and more robust logging to help track down problems like the one you are seeing. When Pro Tools crashes, some information about the crash is written out to a log file. The log files are kept in the "LogFiles" folder that is next to the Pro Tools application.

Here's what you need to do...

1) Reproduce the crash you are seeing.
2) Look in the LogFiles folder and find the latest log file. The file name ends with .dlog
3) Email this "dlog" file to [email protected]. Please include your DUC user name and the hyper-link to this DUC thread (http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=262158) so I can track which post this came from.

If your MacBook is crashing or kernel panicing, please include the kernel panic log. This can be found in the Console application. Look in Applications->Utilities.

Please put my name in the subject line of the email.

Thanks!
When you're done with that, see if you can see what's going wrong with the cs1 patch, as per this thread: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=264875