Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2017, 02:53 PM

Default AAF error in Pro Tools 11 (can not open AAF)

I am having an 'unexpected error can not find media folder' when trying to open an AAF with my Pro-Tools HDX . I am in PT 11.3.1. If I upgrade to PT 11.3.2 will this fix this error? Many AAF that I work with import perfectly, but a few do not. I am not sure what software is used to create the AAF that do not work, may be Premier? and I don't know if the creators are doing anything wrong in their AAFs or may be putting video or something else that may be causing the AAF not to work.

In the 'issues fixed' for PT 11.3.2 it list this as a 'fixed issue':
AAF from Premier Pro won't import into Pro Tools. (PT-204486)

I just want to make sure that this will in fact fix the problem that I am having before I upgrade.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2017, 07:27 AM

Default Re: AAF error in Pro Tools 11 (can not open AAF)

Hi garnoil, have you tried to open that AAF with PT10?
Old 03-27-2017, 06:06 PM

Actually, I have not tired to open with PT 10. I think I still have PT 10 on a back up drive somewhere...good idea I will try.

G
Old 03-27-2017, 10:24 PM

Is it possible to get the supplier to send the AAF to you again? If so, and if it is coming from MC then try to get them to create the AAF with the Media consolidated (with the handles you want) and use the embedded media option. That should solve the "cannot find the media folder" error.

Are you and they on the same OS? Could the media folder they have the media referenced by the AAF in a folder with PC illegal characters in the name?

Good Luck, Andrew
Old 03-31-2017, 05:00 AM

Thank you for your help, you make valid points. The show I am working on is reality TV, get the AAF in the morning, mix done by that same day en the evening. Very difficult to get video edit to do anything again, and zero time to trouble shoot.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
Very difficult to get video edit to do anything again, and zero time to trouble shoot.
Sad, but true far more often than is necessary.
The following does not help your current situation but may offer some ideas for future consideration.
From this MC editors perspective. IF I know or can establish early in the process what audio post requires it is easy to create an MC timeline template for the video edit with the audio tracks named and organised how the Post house wants them. It is also easy to setup and save an "AAF for Pro Tools xyhouse" export template (with embedded media) and ask the post House to test the resultant files.

I ask my Post House to send me a PT's template of a track layout they will use for a series. With that info I can fine tune my MC timeline template. This whole process adds about half an hour to my EP 1 hand off.

Andrew.