Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2014, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Protools HD11 - Coreaudio - negative H/W Insert Offset required?

Have you posted to Lynx? I've had good support from them. Can't help with the CoreAudio questions, since I don't use it or know how it behaves with hardware inserts.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:22 AM

Hey Matt!

I have - the response was "try entering a negative value" in the H/W Offset Delay tab.

It doesn't work - Protools throws up a "value outside the required ranges of 0 - 1000) or something along those lines. The H/W offset delay is a positive value, but it is subtracted from the total delay compensation from what I have witnessed. That is what puzzles me - why is protools compensating too much for hardware inserts in my system?

While I am not inclined to rule out the LT-USB card as a contributor to this issue, both Protools HD and Protools Vanilla don't have even remotely modern ADC implementation when it comes to running ASIO/Coreaudio drivers and handling hardware inserts.

Heck, if Avid could revamp the hardware insert "plugin" to include output and input level meters plus a "ping" function that calculates the ADC requirements upon initiation I would be a very happy man. As it stands, even Ableton Live handles outboard inserts better than either version of Protools running coreaudio/asio interfaces.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Heck, if Avid could revamp the hardware insert "plugin" to include output and input level meters plus a "ping" function that calculates the ADC requirements upon initiation I would be a very happy man. As it stands, even Ableton Live handles outboard inserts better than either version of Protools running coreaudio/asio interfaces.
Now THAT is a 'cool new feature' that really would have me thinking seriously about getting on the support plan!

Hardware inserts on non-HD gear, even with HD software, is ok so long as you don't mind a bit of timing 'looseness'. For me, its ok most of the time, a few samples out on outboard reverbs is neither here nor there, IMO.

But, compared to, say, Cubase, PT's hardware inserts facilities are definitely striaght out of the dark ages.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 11-17-2014, 04:18 AM

I have the same problem. For two months, no solution found.
:
MacPro 3.33 Ghz SIX CORE / OS X 10.13.6 / Pro Tools 20.11.0.157 / Antelope-Orion32 / SSL X Desk - 32 IN Channels / Many analog devices. - From the year 2021: Apple: 13" MacBook Pro M1 - RAM 16GB - 1TB SSD / Logic Pro / Antelope-Orion32 / SSL X Desk - 32 IN / Many analog devices / Plug-ins: SSL, Eventideaudio, TOKYO DAWN LABS, Relab Development /
Old 11-17-2014, 03:19 PM
Avid

I could not reproduce this with Pro Tools HD 11.2.1 on OS X 10.8.5 with a few different interfaces, but did see it occasionally with an Alesis iO|2 (have not found repeatable steps to make this happen though, and it was pretty rare). I don't have an Aurora 16 or Orion 32 to test.
  • Pro Tools|Quartet (USB) - New audio was consistently about 18 samples late regardless of H/W Buffer Size. Setting the H/W Insert Delay to 0.41 lined up the new audio.
  • Focusrite Saffire (FireWire) - New audio was consistently about 51 samples late regardless of H/W Buffer Size. Setting the H/W Insert Delay to 1.16 lined up the new audio.
  • Mbox Pro (FireWire) - New audio is always aligned at any H/W Buffer Size (Mbox Pro has a dedicated driver that handles this).
  • Alesis iO|2 (USB) - New audio was late by differing amounts based on H/W Buffer Size (but consistent with each pass using that setting). A couple times, after changing H/W Buffer Size to 32 it placed new audio 3 samples early. Toggling to another setting and back (e.g. to 64 then back to 32) made it place the audio late, so H/W Insert Delay could then align it.
So it seems like a device/driver/setting issue with specific interfaces.
  1. What are your other settings in the Playback Engine window?
  2. Does the problem change with different H/W Buffer Sizes?
  3. Do you have another interface to try?
Quote:
...if Avid could revamp the hardware insert "plugin" to include output and input level meters plus a "ping" function that calculates the ADC requirements upon initiation I would be a very happy man...
"Ping Detection for HW Insert Delay" is already a feature request if you want to vote for it.

Regards,
JC
Old 11-17-2014, 05:08 PM

Hey JC!

Thank you for your reply. I will run some more tests, trying changing buffer sizes, etc as well as repeating them on a 2013 macbook air and post the results.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Hey JC!

Thank you for your reply. I will run some more tests, trying changing buffer sizes, etc as well as repeating them on a 2013 macbook air and post the results.
Hey LDS

I was using a Lynx Aurora with PT10/11 HDX, but ended up giving up and getting an Avid interface.

While I love the Aurora interface, there's a whole lotta issues going on, that Lynx Support weren't able to answer for me, mostly related to H/W Inserts and clocking, as I was also trying to run it with a 192. Its a real long story of my woes with this unit which came after upgrading to the latest firmware (so it appeared as the Avid HDI/O in PT, for use with PT10 & HDX).

I spent hours on the phone and multiple in depth emails detailing my problems and how to repeat it, but they never saw it to an end and I couldn't carry on with such an unstable device in my rig, so it was replaced.

Maybe you're having different troubles, but sounds pretty similar.

Might be worth trying an Avid HD I/O see if that has same issues, as when I changed over, everything was instantly fixed. Sounds great too.

Forrester
Old 12-07-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
So it seems like a device/driver/setting issue with specific interfaces.
  1. What are your other settings in the Playback Engine window?
  2. Does the problem change with different H/W Buffer Sizes?
  3. Do you have another interface to try?

Regards,
JC

Hi JC,

I had a chance to run some tests. Unfortunately I don't have another interface to test this with. I will see if I can get my hands on one.

I have attached a screenshot of the playback engine window.
I ran a test after changing the sample buffer from 128 -> 256 -> 512 -> 1024.

The resulting audio was the same 7 samples ahead every time.

This test was done with PT HD 11.2.2.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-12-08 at 12.50.33 AM.png (40.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-12-08 at 12.50.45 AM.jpg (26.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-10-2014, 12:08 AM

Up.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:34 PM

bump.