Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2011, 08:26 PM

Default Question: TI Firewire Drivers or Legacy drvs. ?

After years of using a unapproved VIA chipset FW PCI card in both an XP and now WIn7 rigs, I bought a cheap Dell TI based card off good old ebay. Now I had been running the reco'd legacy drivers for the VIA Card in Win7 but now that W7 saw and installed the TI chipset drivers upon install, should I use that or roll over to the legacy drivers as before? The rig seems happy with these TI drivers so far but it's too early to really tell. FWIW the Via card ran fine with its' own drivers and the legacy driver, but as with most Wintel boxes I have periods of fussiness and I am trying to achieve the stability and solidness of my Mac rigs, though to be honest I baby the crap out of those rigs and pile some abuse on the Win7 rig

LMK what you think

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 01-18-2011, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Question: TI Firewire Drivers or Legacy drvs. ?

This is a tough call. I was running the driver that Windows installed automatically with my 003 and was getting intermittent performance from most functions(only the transport buttons were consistently working). When I switched to the recommended Legacy driver, the entire 003 surface turned into one big midi controller(every button would play a midi note on any VI in the session). When I told Windows to update driver and do the auto-install, after that, the 003 has worked perfectly(had only a single lockup for a minute in one session. Close and re-open fixed that one).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-18-2011, 06:23 PM

THX for the opinion Albee, and FTR I'm running PT 9.01 with an 003r. I think I'll run with the Ti driver for awhile since at the moment I'm investigating a claim posted on GS that PT 9 and UAD2 cards are not playing well together. I run a UAD2 solo with a dozen or so of their plugs so the claim of related instability similar to my experiences...ie bad crashes after saving and trying to shut down PT...has my attention. That was another reason to get a Ti card in the rig since it's been a reco for ages, and I thought I should factor that out.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 01-18-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepad View Post
THX for the opinion Albee, and FTR I'm running PT 9.01 with an 003r. I think I'll run with the Ti driver for awhile since at the moment I'm investigating a claim posted on GS that PT 9 and UAD2 cards are not playing well together. I run a UAD2 solo with a dozen or so of their plugs so the claim of related instability similar to my experiences...ie bad crashes after saving and trying to shut down PT...has my attention. That was another reason to get a Ti card in the rig since it's been a reco for ages, and I thought I should factor that out.
good decision to shake 'em ALL out Wilson. in all our testin' with W7 and the PT drivers it really did seem to be VERY system specific. some cats could run with OCHI...some with Legacy...etc etc. i could only run with Legacy with my 002 console. everythin' else caused BSODs and i should be clear in sayin' that this is with my onboard F/W. i haven't spent any time testin' my 002c with my F/W card tho.

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 01-18-2011, 08:38 PM

FWIW... PT9.0.1 and still using the TI/Belkin card with the TI driver... No negatives to report.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com