How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 01-03-2011, 04:19 AM

Default Re: E.T.A On P.T 9 64bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by critza View Post
So i would be able to use 1000000 + instances of any VI out there =)
In what situation would anybody need 1 million virtual instruments.

I think the two main advantages of 64 bit are memory and speed. We can load larger samples, and the CPU will be able to read larger words and therefor be more efficient/faster.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:46 AM

Cool PT 11 will be RTAS only and 64 bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Brown View Post
Any idea when Pro Tools 9 (all platforms) will be 64bit?
Yes, I've answered this before. 64 bit requires an extensive rewrite of the program and the underlying framework that isn't practical before TDM is dropped, which I predict will happen around PT 11. Naturally, it is high on Avid's list of priorities, it's just not feasible at the moment.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:43 AM

Default Re: PT 11 will be RTAS only and 64 bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastaViking II View Post
Yes, I've answered this before. 64 bit requires an extensive rewrite of the program and the underlying framework that isn't practical before TDM is dropped, which I predict will happen around PT 11. Naturally, it is high on Avid's list of priorities, it's just not feasible at the moment.
Thanks for the information.

I hope that the old technology is phased out in the professional studio environment & that the transition to newer technology, is painless.

In effect the old technology is holding back the new breakthroughs.

I think this is were the issue is.

In large studios the computer is the last component in the chain. An edit facility & more.....

The other end of the spectrum is that many home studios solely rely on the computer to outperform what is normally required of a home system. This is why people are gunning for more power on the audio front. Sure 64 bit isn't the be all & end all, but it sure can help.

Really are we saying that when we "ALL" catch up to 64Bit the industry changes again? Then this whole fragmented process starts again? I thought technology was meant to help us?

The thought of going through 64bit, 128bit, 256bit changes just makes me cringe. 32bit to 64bit has the audio world (plugin makers..etc..etc) looking at each other in confusion.

I hope that a governing body issues a "By this date" product alignment "Does." come into effect. Mandatory.

Latency barrier.
I for example, before I pop my cloggs, hope to see the latency barrier broken using light peak . After all there isn't much faster than the speed of light.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Latency barrier.
I for example, before I pop my cloggs, hope to see the latency barrier broken using light peak . After all there isn't much faster than the speed of light.
Steve, you do know that electricity travels at near the sped of light?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity

"While the particles themselves can move quite slowly, sometimes with an average drift velocity only fractions of a millimetre per second,[17] the electric field that drives them itself propagates at close to the speed of light, enabling electrical signals to pass rapidly along wires.[28]"

LightPeak won't be any faster. It's just a bigger pipe.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the information.

I hope that the old technology is phased out in the professional studio environment & that the transition to newer technology, is painless.

In effect the old technology is holding back the new breakthroughs.

I think this is were the issue is.

In large studios the computer is the last component in the chain. An edit facility & more.....

The other end of the spectrum is that many home studios solely rely on the computer to outperform what is normally required of a home system. This is why people are gunning for more power on the audio front. Sure 64 bit isn't the be all & end all, but it sure can help.

Really are we saying that when we "ALL" catch up to 64Bit the industry changes again? Then this whole fragmented process starts again? I thought technology was meant to help us?

The thought of going through 64bit, 128bit, 256bit changes just makes me cringe. 32bit to 64bit has the audio world (plugin makers..etc..etc) looking at each other in confusion.

I hope that a governing body issues a "By this date" product alignment "Does." come into effect. Mandatory.

Latency barrier.
I wouldn't count on Avid completely phasing out the TDM's even in pt 11. THe reason why are the studios. They are slow to move to new technology, and are still the bread and butter of Avid pocket book.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzie View Post
Could you turn up the bass for me on channel 683,026. It's a little light...
lol, sure thing, i just bought a mixer with that many channels, take your car and go to channel 683.026 and turn it down a nod please, i have to go to channel 2000 and pan a little.

Cya!
IS Pro Double 6" Speakers, www.intelligentsound.se/
Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

"While the particles themselves can move quite slowly, sometimes with an average drift velocity only fractions of a millimetre per second,[17] the electric field that drives them itself propagates at close to the speed of light, enabling electrical signals to pass rapidly along wires.[28]"

Thanks. oh well at least the thought was there. Still.....I'm sure light peak must/will be used by hardware manufacturers? Wouldn't you think?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...pick/Light.jpg
interesting....
Old 01-03-2011, 08:43 PM

depends on Intel's licensing fee

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-03-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
So is there any advantage of using a 1TB internal Sata WD Black Caviar 32mb buffer vs. 64mb buffer?

This would be on a 2008 8 core mac pro.
on PT9 HD.
The extra buffer works by storing more information quickly for the CPU to retrieve it faster. I think the bigger importance is the dual processors the Hard Drive uses in the Black series. That does make a difference.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 01-04-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
In what situation would anybody need 1 million virtual instruments.

I think the two main advantages of 64 bit are memory and speed. We can load larger samples, and the CPU will be able to read larger words and therefor be more efficient/faster.
Yes, and bigger, 3TB+ drives. I'm looking to take advantage of all three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

With room to go really faster. Faster than any current standard. Look for an announcement this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
I wouldn't count on Avid completely phasing out the TDM's even in pt 11. THe reason why are the studios. They are slow to move to new technology, and are still the bread and butter of Avid pocket book.
I disagree with you a little. I say we'll see it sooner than later, and it is possible it would be in version 9, in an update, we'll see it. That is the same thing a lot of people is doing. Then Maybe version 10, everything 64-bit will be available.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro