Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 03-29-2013, 06:28 AM

Default 003 control surface (As audio) & control 24 as surface

Hi,

is it possible to use a 003 control surface as just the audio interface and disable it as a control surface? then use a control 24 as the surface?

Re. my other post it seems the buyer has the 003 surface so the control 24 doesn't work correctly along side the 003 surface. and the meters dont work!!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:59 AM

Default Re: 003 control surface (As audio) & control 24 as surface

It will work, BUT, the 003 controller will "own" the first 8 tracks(so they will never show up on the Control24). Much better to sell the 003 controller and grab the rack version

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-30-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
It will work, BUT, the 003 controller will "own" the first 8 tracks(so they will never show up on the Control24). Much better to sell the 003 controller and grab the rack version
Hi,

I thought they might be able to disable it in the midi controllers section or even remove the controller personality bundle and use it just for sound?

Would think its possible somehow! Unless they then get error messages about the 003 being offline etc.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:48 AM

Not that I am aware of. I've been asking for a year for a firmware update that would allow the 003 to be used as a controller only(with any other interface) but I suspect, since the 003 is discontinued, that's not likely. IIRC, the 003 does have a MIDI mode that would disable all the control function (but unfortunately that also would kill it as an interface). Seriously, I bet you could trade the controller to someone that has the rack version, and probably get a few hundred bucks in the process Somebody that knows differently, feel free to correct me on this

Old 04-05-2013, 01:58 PM

Well based on what I have seen used 003s selling for (even at GC) you shouldn't expect to get much for it in a trade situation.

They typically are between $450-650 on a regular basis.
The problem with the console is that the rack has more value thanks to Black Lion.
Since they only do mods on the rack version it became the more desirable of the two.

As far as the profile for the 003 it's no what to make it show up as anything other than a 003.

Would really be nice if you could but they never planned it that way.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:38 AM

I bet someone has the rack version and would love to trade up to the mixer version for a few hundred bucks

Old 12-11-2015, 07:34 AM

I just posted a similar question. I have had some success with my M32c as my I/o and 003 controlling PT. It does require some clicking around each time you open a session but I'm ok with that as long as it does what I want.

SO, the way I achieved this is by using my m32 usb card (DN32-sub) as the playback engine, then go into the Peripherals menu>midi controllers, and assign the Command|8 in the first drop down, 003 Port 1 in the Recieved drop down, and 003 Port 3(control) in the Send To drop down.

Each time I close and reopen sessions I have to assign the playback to be the 003, save, then change back to the DN32-usb card. Each time you change playback engines it closes your session and automatically reopens it once you confirm the change. Make sure you have all the latest updates installed. I had some older versions lingering around that made it glitchy leading me to make a dreaded call to support. The tech logged into my computer and wiped out some of the non essential crap left over from years not cleaning my system before and after updates. Once he did this the only wonkyness left over was the playback engine reassignment. Again I don't think this is an officially supported configuration but it does work. But as of now I can record and mix the way I want.

I realize this isn't exactly the question at hand but this may help guide you in the right direction.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRockafellow View Post
I just posted a similar question. I have had some success with my M32c as my I/o and 003 controlling PT. It does require some clicking around each time you open a session but I'm ok with that as long as it does what I want.

SO, the way I achieved this is by using my m32 usb card (DN32-sub) as the playback engine, then go into the Peripherals menu>midi controllers, and assign the Command|8 in the first drop down, 003 Port 1 in the Recieved drop down, and 003 Port 3(control) in the Send To drop down.

Each time I close and reopen sessions I have to assign the playback to be the 003, save, then change back to the DN32-usb card. Each time you change playback engines it closes your session and automatically reopens it once you confirm the change. Make sure you have all the latest updates installed. I had some older versions lingering around that made it glitchy leading me to make a dreaded call to support. The tech logged into my computer and wiped out some of the non essential crap left over from years not cleaning my system before and after updates. Once he did this the only wonkyness left over was the playback engine reassignment. Again I don't think this is an officially supported configuration but it does work. But as of now I can record and mix the way I want.

I realize this isn't exactly the question at hand but this may help guide you in the right direction.
Since M32 is an interface, and has a HUI function for DAW control, the 003 seems to me to have no purpose in your setup