Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2014, 01:32 PM

Default MIDI Output Vanished

Okay, this is bizzare. I seem to have lost MIDI output from Pro Tools to my main MIDI controller, my Yamaha Motif XS8, and I can't seem to get it back working.

Here's what happened and what I've done and I hope someone can suggest a solution.

I have a Yamaha Motif connected to my PC via Firewire and have been using as my MIDI controller for everything in PT since the dawn of time. It has all worked just great. I often create a MIDI track in PT for some part or other, bass say, and then have the MIDI track routed to the Motif and run through Motif sounds for that track while it loops. I then route the audio output of the Motif via FW back to a PT audio track and lay it down when I'm happy with the patch for the part. I also use the Motif when I'm laying down tracks with VI's on instrument tracks. No problem recording MIDI or playing it back to the Motif...until last night!

I downloaded and installed the demo version of Metaplugin because the specs said it would host VST3 VIs. That got my attention because there is a editor program for the Motif that comes as a 64bit VST3. Well, it did work in that I could open the editor inside Metaplugin instantiated on a PT instrument track. However, somehow, doing all that deleted...I mean completely deleted my MIDI studio set up for the Motif. So I set it all back up exactly as I had had it before, only now I have no MIDI output from PT to the Motif. I do have input, so I know there is signal between the Motif and PT. But no matter what I do, I can not get a MIDI track to play the Motif at all. I completely uninstalled both the editor and Metaplugin, re-booted, and tried again...same result. All my MIDI settings on the Motif are exactly as they were before all this happiness started. And I re-set the MIDI studio exactly as it was before as well.

So, I can record MIDI by playing notes on my Motif and lay them down on a PT MIDI track. I can use the MOtif to play VI's on PT instrument tracks as before. But I can't play the Motif by sending MIDI out from a PT MIDI track to the Motif.

I'm stymied here...Can ANYONE offer some light?

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2014, 02:29 PM

Default Re: MIDI Output Vanished

Never mind. As if things weren't weird enough, I just went down to my studio, turned everything on and now it all works just fine as before. Even though I turned it all off and back on last night! Geesh! Don't mind me...I'm just the guy in the corner banging his head in the wall!