Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2014, 10:18 AM

Default Pt hd options

The PCIe card basically just converts from PCIe to Avid's proprietary DigiLink TDM wire protocol (not to be confused with the TDM plugin DSP processing that only the old legacy HD cards did), it also provides support for low-latency mixing. The actual interfaces (Omni or HD IO) communicate with the PCIe card over TDM and they provide the actual input, output conversion etc, and in the case of the Omni two preamps (the HD interface card options are all line level or digital). If you have no clue about these, you really should read the user guides for the Omni and HD IO before making a purchase decision.

And there are other "cards" to worry about-- the interface cards in the HD IO chassis provide flexibility, but many people will just buy a certain config of HD IO and never change it. So make sure you are looking at the right config, e.g. A HD IO 16x16 Analog is different from a HD IO 16x16 Digital, or a HD IO 8x8x8.

I hope you realize all your existing interfaces cannot be directly used with Pro Tools HD hardware. You can of course run the HD software with any ASIO compatible interface but it will have the standard Pro Tools ASIO IO limits. Preamps or interfaces that do AES/EBU, SPDIF or ADAT/SMUX can also feed those inputs on a HD interface.

And if you want modern HD DSP processing you need a HDX system, same interfaces but the PCIe card Aldo has DSP processors, that the HD Native card does not, I hope that was clear and I am guessing a HDX system is also outside your needs and/or budget.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Pt hd options

Great points.
Im wondering about the chain. The Saphire pro 40 works in 7.1, so if the Omni or HD IO is pre or post in chain would change applicability to use. And as of now the HDX is of no consideration.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:37 AM

"the chain" is entirely dictated for you. You can use the preamps in the Pro 40 to drive a suitable HD interface via ADAT. Since the Pro 40 has no line level analog mic outputs using it to drive line level inputs is not an option. EDIT: Oops I forgot the Pro 40 stand-alone mode will let you use it's internal mixer to drive the line level outputs -- so effectively you can use it as an analog preamp.

if you want to flip between the Pro 40 Firewire and a HD interface you may want/need a monitor controller, and maybe an input patch bay, if you do not have those already.

I hope it is clear that you cannot use the Pro 40 as an interface while using the HD hardware -- ie HD interfaces will not aggregate with non HD interfaces.

Lacking in this thread is *any* description of what you are trying to do and why you want HD. Do you want that for hardware features (e.g. latency, IO capacity--what IO needs exactly?) or HD software features? Compatibility with other studios? etc. Give enough details and folks here might be able to help you, or save you from a painful mistake.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-04-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:37 PM

The mixing in 7.1 is the main reason for now. If its capable of more thats a bonus. If I need to record in HD then lets keep it the same 20/20. If its so many more k's in price then 8/8 will do.
If I can record saphire and transfer to HD by .wav I can work around. Would it be worth the hassle.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:54 PM

You can record using Pro Tools HD from the Sapphire Pro 40 and open the same session later on a HD rig, with usual/expected IO setup messing around. You can even mix in 7.1 using the Sapphire Pro 40 as an interface with Pro Tools HD. Surround sound support is purely a HD software feature.

20/20 ? --- You REALLY really need to work out what you *need* not what you might want/just have now (maybe you really need the 20/20 we don't know). The HD IO 16 x 16 Analog by itself (no HD Native card, no Pro Tools HD) is $5k, for 20x20 you'll need two of them or at least a HD IO 16x16 Analog and an Omni ($3k by itself) or a depopulated HD IO (say an 8x8Anaog $3-$4k? depending on what deal you could get).

If you can get away with an Omni I would start there, it is an 8x8 interface with four analog inputs (two built-in Mic Pres (can also do line level) and two separate line level inputs), or you can connect your Pro 40 to it via ADAT or line-in. But remember it does not matter what you can physically connect to it, the Omni is limited to only ever be an 8x8 interface. Later expansion options could include looking for a used HD IO box/cards.

If you just need the HD software another option is to look at buying CPTK license and then using that to upgrade from either PT 9 or PT 10 to PT 11 HD using the current CPTK end of life deal that Avid has. The other path some folks take is is to buy a used HD iLok asset (on the physical iLok, they are not transferrable), but that one is violating Avid's software EULA and you may end up with a HD license that can not ever be upgraded, could even get invalidated in future (now that Pace/iLok have demonstrated how well they can do that, sigh.).
Old 05-04-2014, 12:55 PM

Sounds like HD Natve might be the best option for you. Use your current interfaces, higher track and I/O counts and it does 7.1 surround. You just don't get the DSP processing

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 05-04-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Sounds like HD Natve might be the best option for you. Use your current interfaces, higher track and I/O counts and it does 7.1 surround. You just don't get the DSP processing
Oh please don't confuse him by misusing "HD Native".

You mean using Pro Tools HD software. He cannot use his current Firewire interface with the HD Native PCIe card.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:20 PM

If I can record with my interface and use HD software, Thats what I want. I can expand later. If I cant, then I want only what I need. I record mostly mics, guitars and keys. No drums yet. I would like the surround capabilities and shouldnt need (unless it deems) any latency preventing provisions.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Oh please don't confuse him by misusing "HD Native".

You mean using Pro Tools HD software. He cannot use his current Firewire interface with the HD Native PCIe card.
Does PT HDx and HD Native not support using ASIO and Core Audio devices as interfaces?

I guess it's unclear what the OP is trying to accomplish, other than gaining access to 7.1 surround mixing, which the HD Native PCIe or Thunderbolt box will allow while still using his Saffire 40. Or am I reading the Protools Family Comparison sheet wrong?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 05-04-2014, 02:46 PM

[QUOTE=JCBigler;2154230]Does PT HDx and HD Native not support using ASIO and Core Audio devices as interfaces?[/[QUOTE]

Ah not via the HD Native or HDX card or when that device is selected as the playback engine (e.g. non-Digilink/TDM device aggregation is not possible).

You can use Pro Tools HD software with an ASIO interface, just like standard Pro Tools. But trying to be Avid product name correct here, that is not "HD Native".