Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2011, 02:55 AM

Default Condenser/SM58 bass problems

I have a Sontronics STC-2 Condenser mic, and a normal SM58. I've been recording demo's mostly with my acoustic guitar and classical guitar initally with the SM58, because my Condenser was picking up loud interferences in the background. My SM58 didn't so I used that, and the quality was quite acceptable, but thats not the problem. The problem is when I played either my acoustic or classical, certain notes, or one note in particular (A at 440hz) were naturally more bassy than the other notes, including other bass notes.
Eventually those loud interferences were taken care of and I decided to use the condenser was sounded alot better in quality which was great, but the exact same problem with the bass note/s was with the condender as well.

Now I doubt that it's a problem with my guitars because the fact that two guitars have the exact same problem at the same time just doesn't seem that likely. What I do think is possibly my positioning of where I'm playing from or in what position the mic's are recording. Basically, I'm sitting down on a short stool and the Condenser/SM58 is positioned at my guitar level in front of me.

For extra info, I'm using an Mbox 2, and I course know about phantom power with the condender mic

I hope that someone can help me out on this, otherwise thanks for your regard.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Condenser/SM58 bass problems

One type of correction for this would be to get a Carnegie Hall Frequency Chart and duck the frequency of the offending note with a parametric eq with steep Q. Resonate frequencies in un-tuned rooms are common.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-21-2011, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Condenser/SM58 bass problems

First thing I would try is changing the position of the mic in relation to the guitar. Next thing would be to change the position in the room(supporting what TOM said). You might also try the lo-cut filter on the STC-2

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave