Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2004, 12:15 PM

Default Someone please help, cuz I give up!

As far as mixing goes, I give up on OS X. I can't get the friggin' thing to work! It's crash after crash after crash... I've posted a few times with my woes and there's no solution. I've talked to Digi NUMEROUS times and there's no solution. Does ANYBODY out there have these same issues in 6.4:

-- I'm in a project and for no apparent reason, the system locks up (either just freezes or a kernal panic), my C24 drops offline, the SYNC continues to run, and whatever audio was playing, continues to loop thru the 192. I cannot duplicate this error. It's totally intermitent and unpredictable.

I've done the following, at various times, to try and rectify the situation:
- Reinstalled the OS 4 different times. (X.3.2, upgraded to X.3.4 each time)
- Mixed off my 2nd ATA/100 drive (formatted with Disk Util)
- Mixed off my SCSI/160 drive (formatted with once w/ATTO and again w/Disk Util)
- Swapped memory sticks (am currently running with 2 APPLE OEM 512MB sticks)
- Repaired permissions
- Zapped PRAM
- Reset the the motherboard PMU
- Re-seated PCI cards
- I'm sure there were a few other things, just can't remember 'em

Anyway, unless there's some kinda definitive fix, PT6.x is completely unusable to me. I don't have the time to keep experimenting with what it could possibly be.

PT 5.3.1 runs like a dream. Guess I'm stuck in OS 9 land till OS X.5 and PT 7.1.
IMDB
LinkedIn
Old 07-14-2004, 03:12 PM

Default Hare RAMa

I've had the same problem on my PT HD/G4. It was driving me nuts! For a year my system was running great and suddenly I crashed all the time for no reason! So I tried everything and every single test I had on my system. In the end I took out all RAM and put it back block by block until one proved to crash PT. I've seen this with other systems also where the RAM test checks out fine. It seems like PT is very sensitive to hardware problems...

In your post you don't mention if you've ever had your system up and running smoothly on OSX. So maybe start again slowly adding one component at a time. Make sure your plugins are the right versions and that you've followed Digi's OSX installation guide from DUC.

Good luck, buddy!
Old 07-14-2004, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Hare RAMa

I also had these symptoms and it was bad ram
Old 07-14-2004, 06:41 PM

There is a known issue with mismatched "pairs" of Ram and multi-tasking/threading with OSX. Make sure each "pair" of RAM is the same manufacturer, speed etc...
Old 07-14-2004, 10:35 PM

I have a similar thing but, our system has run fine for a few days at a time then all of a sudden today it keeps happening. Audio keeps playing yet everything else freezes. A restart is needed then you hope that it doesnt happen again. Sucks when clients are there asking whats up. Would be interested if it is the RAM but with Have 1 OEM 512 stick. Anyone elses opinion would be great, maybe a would from digi...this doesn't seem to be a freakish problem.

thanks
Old 07-15-2004, 01:24 PM

Quote:
...In your post you don't mention if you've ever had your system up and running smoothly on OSX.
No, I've NEVER had it running smooth in OS X. Meaning... from the earliest version of 6.x, it has NOT worked.

As far as the RAM, I suppose I could try it with 1 stick of APPLE RAM, but as I posted earlier, I'm running with 2 stix of 512MB APPLE OEM RAM.
IMDB
LinkedIn
Old 07-15-2004, 01:56 PM

I've been getting this problem too. Are you using 6.4CS 4? Just curious. I am, but I don't remember if it was happening before that...it did start fairly recently....
Old 07-16-2004, 09:17 AM

I've had a similar problem with my dual 1.25 G4.

I my case it was the Ram slots not the actual RAM even though apple hardware test said everything was OK
I found, after extensive hair pulling, that Ram slot 1 and Ram slot 4 were faulty.
This affected all programs and got so bad that the machine would just hang on boot.

I eventually discarded 500MB of ram and just left 2 x 500mb in slots 2 + 3.

Since then the system has been working perfectly and PT is the most solid it has ever been.

Hope this is of some help

Mix + ++
PT 6.3.2
OSX 10.3.4
1 GB RAM
Old 07-16-2004, 12:20 PM

Hrmmmm... I thought RAM HAD to be in consecutive slots. Maybe I'll try that.

And, yes.. I'm using 6.4cs4.
IMDB
LinkedIn
Old 07-16-2004, 02:52 PM

Not sure about the consecutive RAM slots thing but works fine for me.

Please let me know if you try this as I have heard of other people with faulty RAM slots on 1.25DP/G4's .