Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2003, 11:54 AM

Default Feature Request, or is this possible now?

Hey everybody,

Okay, here goes. I've been working with the Takes List Pop-up Menu feature, and it seems to be a very well implemented tool for auditioning takes quickly. However, it could be a much more powerful editorial tool if a few changes were made.

Using the "'Seperate Region' Operates On All Related Takes " pref is really quite wonderful and powerful amd definately adds to the editorial prowess of the Takes List Popup Menu, but it is limited by it's requirement that all files effected share the same timestamp.

I would love to see a similar tool that works on Play Lists, so that when I cut a new region, that cut is duplicated down through the playlists assigned or selected for that track. Then I would be able to pull up a matching region regardless of it's Time Stamp. Maybe call it "'Seperate Region' Operates on All Active Playlists", and it could be an "either/or" type of pref. Either Regions or Playlists.

This would create an extremely powerful editorial tool for working with Picture Lock V/O records or comping vocals on a tune. Imagine using "duplicate Playlist" for each new take, thereby creating a "pile" of overlapping regions on stacked playlists. And since you've been duplicating the playlist for each take, at the end of the session you have a more or less complete narration/vocal track. If a Producer wants to go back to a specific take for a specific section, you simply cut down through the stack of playlists, thereby creating a replacement region, and select the appropriate take in the Takes List Popup Menu. Since the record was to picture or is in time with the music, things should be pretty well lined up from take to take.

PT's already has a fantastic implementation of this editing idea in place with files bearing the same timestamp, and it is mucho fast when comping ADR takes. I'd like to see it expanded to include files that share an overlap, either through playlists or not. Not every take recorded should have to start at the same timecode to benefit from this editorial feature.

Any comments? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Brad McIlvaine
Audio Mixer/Designer
Henninger Digital Audio/1150 Post
Washington, DC 20036
Washington, DC 20036