Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2019, 07:37 PM

Default MIDI Input Randomly Glitching/Freezing

Hi there,

I am running Pro Tools First on a Toshiba Portege with Windows 10 Home, with 6 GB of Ram, an Intel Core i3 1.4 GHz, and a 256 GB SATA SSD.

So, I am trying to connect MIDI controllers, such as an Akai MPD218 and a Roland FP-7 to my Pro Tools First software, with USB 2.0. I can manage a successful connection, and I get audio feedback whenever I hit a key or tweak a controller, but sometimes the feedback I get from the controller glitches. It's hard to explain: I can play 4-10 notes, but then the audio feedback freezes, or I can't get audio feedback from another hit of the controller for the next 4-10 seconds. Obviously, this makes recording impractical.

I am new to this software, and to the whole sound mixing forum in general. My understanding of MIDI is very basic.

Here is the technical information that I can scrounge up. My playback engine dialog box is set to Windows Audio Device, no input, my computer speakers, sample rate 48 kHz, and it is optimized for recording. My devices are checked in the MIDI input devices dialog box. I always run them through an instrument track with Xpand2! inserted, no input, and coming out my computer speakers. Everything else I leave default.

Reply if you need more information to answer my question. You will probably have to be specific about what you need, I am new to this software, like I said.

I have already tried trashing my preferences, as I have mentioned, restarting the program a number of times with the devices plugged/unplugged, and fooling around with the MIDI settings in Pro Tools that I don't understand.

I appreciate the notice. Thanks! No big deal if this can't be easily solved or solved at all.

Sam R.

Windows 10 Home
Intel Core i7-1065G7, 1.30 GHz
12.00 GB RAM
Pro Tools 2020.12
Old 12-27-2019, 10:08 PM

Default Re: MIDI Input Randomly Glitching/Freezing

I have the same problem with a much more powerful PC: I5 6400 desktop with 16GB RAM.
I would call it intermittent MIDI data loss; every few seconds, for a few seconds.
It happens to me with different MIDI keyboards and only with Pro Tools First, not other software.
AND only while not playing or recording. It's all dandy while doing either.

This is wrong; very annoying. Also that nobody replies.

I've seen similar post elsewhere; also without replies or solution.

Somebody needs to get onto this.

Cat
Old 12-28-2019, 07:39 AM

Thanks for the clarification. That is more of what my situation is like.

I am also annoyed by the lack of attention these kind of posts get. I guess it has to do with the sheer number of possibilities that the problem could be.

Thanks again.

Sam R.

Windows 10 Home
12.00 GB RAM
Pro Tools 2020.12
Old 12-28-2019, 08:23 AM

Have you done all the required system tweaks? Especially disabling Power Management on all USB ports? At some point, its going to be best to add some kind of "real" interface, whether you stay with Pro Tools or not

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-28-2019, 08:26 AM

Well this is a USER forum and not an Avid support forum so if you need support from Avid you need to contact them.

Secondly no one here will be able to help you with no info on system details and what peripherals you have connected. What OS, Which exact PT version (First version in this case) and what has been done to rectify the issues.

We only try and help eachother member to member and if no one answers means we dont know how to help, many members are away for the holidays and if you need the urgent support the best option is to buy an ASC (Avid support code) and start a ticket there. It is needed anyway for them to follow up your plight.

As Albee suggest you really do need the minimum gear to have a working setup and PT is known for beeing picky and hard to use out the box and needs an Audio Interface and a midi interface which is really cheap like ($15-$20) on ebay.

Interfaces go from $100 and up and Focusrite has the ever so popular 2i2 mk2 which is also really good and a great price.

Trying to use just the computer with none of these two criteria would not result in a good experience. No matter how many other DAW’s works like that PT just doesn’t.

All the best
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-28-2019, 08:46 AM

I already provided all of my system details and PT version, in the signature and in the post.

However, the interface part makes sense. Like I said, I'm pretty new, and I'm not really sure how to tweak everything, like Power Management and system I/O. I guess I'm getting that it isn't smart to just plug it in and hope it works.

Thanks though.

Sam R.

Windows 10 Home
12.00 GB RAM
Pro Tools 2020.12
Old 12-28-2019, 09:06 AM

I don't think it's the interface as I tried multiple keyboards: one M-Audio KeyStudio 49 and one Yamaha SHS-500.
It seems PC specs are not really relevant either.
I disabled all USB power management.
Some optimization suggested is to turn off processors ability to speed up and down.
That's not reasonable.
The forum suggests that Avid people do come on this forum so if that's true I hope they help.
Thanks,
Cat

PS - I think I also added my specs to my signature; I don't know why it doesn't appear; I'll check it. It's mostly in my first post though

Last edited by CataCluj; 12-28-2019 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 12-28-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlemeS4m View Post
I already provided all of my system details and PT version, in the signature and in the post.

However, the interface part makes sense. Like I said, I'm pretty new, and I'm not really sure how to tweak everything, like Power Management and system I/O. I guess I'm getting that it isn't smart to just plug it in and hope it works.

Thanks though.
Windows 10 Home
Intel Core i3, 1.40 GHz
6.00 GB RAM
Pro Tools First 2019.6

Sadly, this computer is way below spec

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-29-2019, 09:19 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with specs.
I have same problem.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:28 AM

I have a hard time believing it has anything to do with spec either. It runs the software just fine. You don't need some ridiculously awesome computer to run a DAW. You just need a computer that's powerful enough. Mine is doing fine, I'm just not sure how to fully utilize my software on it yet.

Sam R.

Windows 10 Home
12.00 GB RAM
Pro Tools 2020.12