Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-13-2008, 10:00 PM

Default latency when using hardware inserts (oo3)

I am running PT LE 7.3 with my 003 rack. when I patch a hardware insert into my compressor (RNC) the audio no longer syncs with the other tracks. when I turn my playback buffer down it gets better, but that usually results in a crash of some sort. I want to be able to leave my buffer size up - is there anything( other than shifting the regions back in time) that will resolve this problem?
Old 07-14-2008, 01:22 AM

Default Re: latency when using hardware inserts (oo3)

Nope. Time to shift your tracks. Latency is a given with any kind of host-based DAW. It's lessened if you use devices with Digital connections instead of Analog, but it's always going to be there.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:03 AM

Quote:
I want to be able to leave my buffer size up -

Why wouldn't you want a small buffer?
The concept of high buffers was when we need to scrap all the resources we could for the computer, with the current computers available 32/64 buffers are all I would ever be willing to do.
High buffers makes PT LE pretty unuseable for me.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:16 AM

they want to leave the buffer up because it seems as though they are in the mix stage, and keeping the buffer up will increase plugin count and drop the number of errors kicked off. Also it doesn't mention the model computer they are using, maybe they have an older model where using a high buffer is almost mandatory. The Mac Pro offers the power luxury of running low buffers most of the time, but I still crank it up towards the end of the mixing process and ESPECIALLY for doing bounces. There is nothing worse than getting 3/4 of the way through the bounce and getting a Buffer error. Manual delay compensation is a necessary evil in PT LE, so might as well learn to do it now. Here is a thread from a while back. There is some good stuff in it...

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...rt=&PHPSESSID=
Old 07-14-2008, 11:50 AM

32 is all I do, and all I will ever do.
If I move it to 128 or even 256 that's more than enough to cause me tracking problems if I forget to put it back and it doesn't cause any problems at mixdown.
If I had an older computer that I couldn't upgrade I would choose an old MIX plus system instead of LE.

Manual Delay Compensation is a CREATED PT LE evil based on a choosen work flow, nothing more.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:10 PM

sweet dude, good to know, thanks for your wonderful input, it has really helped the situation.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:55 PM

I went back and referenced some other threads about TIME ADJUSTER - then tried to put it to application.i created a 3 track session - two guitar and one mono drum. when i put my insert on the drum track, the delay was measured to be 6 samples... to test the theory of time adjuster i put it on the guitar tracks and set it to compensate for 6 samples - in fact...when I engaged the time adjuster plug on the tracks they in turn incurred a 20 sample delay!

I'm not one to be obnoxious and tell other people their theories are wrong. really I just want to learn as much as possible about this problem. considering what i just described, am i still doing something wrong? how can a plugin designed to compensate for delay add 20 samples of delay?
Old 07-14-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
sweet dude, good to know, thanks for your wonderful input, it has really helped the situation.
Your sarcasm doesn't change the fact that he should be able to work at lower buffers without crashing unless he has an outdated computer.
He never said what computer he was using so he could be dealing with an improperly setup system.
Again the concept of changing the buffer during mixdown should not be considered a requirement or recommendation.
It pretty much goes in the same pot as bouncing tracks down to save CPU cycles, both are crutches with their own set of problems that they add to a workflow.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:38 PM

using a macbook for the record.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I went back and referenced some other threads about TIME ADJUSTER - then tried to put it to application.i created a 3 track session - two guitar and one mono drum. when i put my insert on the drum track, the delay was measured to be 6 samples... to test the theory of time adjuster i put it on the guitar tracks and set it to compensate for 6 samples - in fact...when I engaged the time adjuster plug on the tracks they in turn incurred a 20 sample delay!

I'm not one to be obnoxious and tell other people their theories are wrong. really I just want to learn as much as possible about this problem. considering what i just described, am i still doing something wrong? how can a plugin designed to compensate for delay add 20 samples of delay?
The time adjuster plug adds 4 samples of latency so if you are seeing a number of 20 that make it seem that there other plugs involved.
Try this just make a session put 2 mono tracks and a master.
Record the same thing to the 2 tracks, a stereo signal will also work but don't use a stereo track in the session.
Add something that has a real latency like 512 or more but only to one track, use multiple plugs if necessary since it makes it easier to experiment with when you can hear the delay.
Now add the medium or large adjuster to the other track, it will add 4 samples of delay to that track so don't worry about that.
Next you just input the numerical value shown on the track with the plugs you should hear things line up once you do it.

It's also helpful if you do a OPTION + COMMAND when you click to get the channel to display DLY so it shows on all the channels when you are in a session.