Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 11-17-2013, 08:12 AM

Default Pro Tools 11 Beginner

Help! I am brand new to Pro Tools and, man, am I stuck. Trying to merely record my first track. Everything APPEARS to be set up as it should be. BUT, when I enable the track for record, click record and then play on the transport NOTHING happens. I am totally frustrated. Anybody out there have any advice? Seems that this initial step should be so simple and easy and I am totally bangin' my head against the proverbial wall. Thanks in advance to anyone with any words of advice or encouragement!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Can't get Pro Tools 11 to record a track!

I am using a much older version of Pro Tools, so am not familiar with PT 11, but basics are basics. Are you trying to record to an audio track? Do you have an input and output assigned to the track? If you just hit play, without enabling record, does the transport start? In the lower left hand corner of the large transport does it say "Transport=Pro Tools" Did your Pro Tools version come with sample sessions, and do they play OK? Try setting up a new audio track within the sample session and see if that records.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:43 AM

Just hitting "play" does not even start the transport. I have input and output set up correctly. Was on the phone yesterday afternoon with my instructor and he walked me through and made sure the input/ouput stuff is all set up properly. He is as miffed as I am. (I know it would help if he or someone else was sitting here with me and my laptop...) Not sure or do not see where this is --> In the lower left hand corner of the large transport does it say "Transport=Pro Tools"

(I mean, I see the large transport, but no anyplace that it says transport=pro tools in a lower left hand corner...

Not really sure if my Pro Tools 11 came with sample session. Will try to search around.

Gosh, this is frustrating. I do appreciate your help, though!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:47 AM

Nope. No sample sessions in Pro Tools 11.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:51 AM

On the toolbar on the top, click on "Window". Then scroll down and click on "Transport" (Unless they have changed that in PT 11). On my version that brings up the large transport window.
To see if you have sample sessions, go to File>Open Session. There may be a folder with sample sessions.
Under Setup>Preferences, on the right of the box that pops up, where it says "open ended record allocation" is the "Limit To" box set to something other than 0 minutes. I set mine to 10 minutes, unless the song is going to be longer than that.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:03 AM

I see setup>preferences and the box that pops up, but I don't see the verbage "open ended record allocation" anywhere!
Old 11-17-2013, 09:09 AM

I am probably doing more harm than good, not being familiar with PT11. They have obviously changed things up. I do suspect that somewhere in your setup, Pro Tools is not designated as the main transport (meaning Pro Tools is waiting for some other device to command it to start). Hopefully someone more current in their knowledge will jump in and try to get you going. You may want to read the "help us help you" info at the top of this page so people will know more about your setup.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 Beginner

ProTools will take you a while to get used to. I initially had trouble getting my click track to work too. Make sure that the click track output goes to one and two that way you'll be able to hear it through the monitors/headphones. In addition make sure that none of your other tracks that you're recording are on solo. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Digidesign 002 (soon)
Old 11-17-2013, 09:17 AM

Will do. Thanks a million for your time and patience. I will update my setup info and hope that someone else may jump in here with more suggestions. Thank you! p.s. No harm done at all. The more I mess around, the more I learn. :)
Old 11-17-2013, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 Beginner

Should the one track that I am trying to record to be on "solo"?