Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2002, 08:58 AM

Default PT HD to DA-88 TDIF xfer problem

Doing a digital xfer from PT HD 192 I/O via TDIF to a DA-88 yields full scale digital noise. Answerbase specifies this is a known problem that gets fixed by 5.3r4 update (not yet available?). Any work-arounds or experience using a DA-98, which digi says this problem doesn't exist with.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2002, 10:08 PM

Default Re: PT HD to DA-88 TDIF xfer problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Nello7:
Doing a digital xfer from PT HD 192 I/O via TDIF to a DA-88 yields full scale digital noise.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Honestly, I haven't had that problem in my set-up. I'm trying to think whether I did a TDIF transfer or through AES/EBU, but I know the signal wound up OK.

In my case, everything is clocked through an external video black reference generator, and it's working fine. At the worst, I would try using a break-out cable going to AES/EBU and see if that solves the problem.

--Marc W.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nello7:
Doing a digital xfer from PT HD 192 I/O via TDIF to a DA-88 yields full scale digital noise. Answerbase specifies this is a known problem that gets fixed by 5.3r4 update (not yet available?). Any work-arounds or experience using a DA-98, which digi says this problem doesn't exist with.

Thanks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Do a search. This has been covered several times and yes, it can work. Clock your DA-88 from your 192 Word Clock out - make sure your hardware settings are correct. Now - this is important - terminate the Word Clock Input on the DA-88 with a 75 ohm 'T' terminator. Otherwise, it won't work. Tascam's word clock is a slightly different beast. Also, if you have a second DA-88, clock it from the Word Clock Out of the first DA-88, NOT from a second 192. Anyway, this is how I do it, (along with TDIF cables, properly set Hardware Settings, and a DA-88 set to Word Clock). You can also use Word Clock Out of the Sync I/O (I clock my 192s with blackburst in to the Sync I/O, and Loop Sync after that).

The other option is to get an IF-88AE, and to the AES/EBU thang. But my way does work perfectly.

Craig
Old 10-27-2002, 07:10 AM

That explains the problem that I had not too long ago. Trying to get dig into DA88 from PT yielded full on level a the DA88 with no signal being sent from PT. Brought in a DA98 and it worked fine using the very same cables. Thinking that my DA88 was wacky, I brought it into be repaired, only to find that there was nothing wrong with it.

I'll give the terminator a go and see if it behaves.

Thanks.