Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2010, 12:23 PM

Default Re: In a bit of a pickle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneFO View Post
That honestly made me laugh!!!!
Wait, I have a better one for you guys. When I took the screenshot with my capture program, I looked at the message and said to myself, "Son of a b*#$h, I know I have enough memory for a stupid screen shot!" That lasted for about 2 seconds when I realized...oh yeah, that's what I wanted to take a picture of.
Windows 7
Old 02-17-2010, 12:33 PM

I once took a desktop screenshot of Cubase and put it on a friend's computer..... he kept trying to quit the program, couldn't figure out why it wouldn't quit. He thought the computer was locked up (even though the mouse was moving!) and unplugged/re-plugged the computer... LOL!! I couldn't stop laughing.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:30 PM

If your friends have a good sense of humor....

BSOD screensaver

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post

BSOD screensaver
That is genius! I suppose the boys in Redmond have a sense of humor once in a while.

UPDATE! I remembered that I had another computer in the house with ONE GIG of Rambus!!! My power supply inexplicably died in the memory swap but I am now going to proceed installing PT 8 once more! My Dverb scores are going to KILL! Just wait and see!
Windows 7
Old 02-17-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyzuma View Post
That is genius! I suppose the boys in Redmond have a sense of humor once in a while.

UPDATE! I remembered that I had another computer in the house with ONE GIG of Rambus!!! My power supply inexplicably died in the memory swap but I am now going to proceed installing PT 8 once more! My Dverb scores are going to KILL! Just wait and see!
Hey thats really good news, let us know how it goes. If I had any Rambus I would have offered to send it your way.

I got some EDO memory want that?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-18-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:

BSOD screensaver
LMAO!!!!

That has to be the CRUELEST program ever designed. After all the pain I've been through getting my system stable, I believe that would be the one program that would force me to launch my computer out the second floor window!!

.........I like it.

"Yes, recording to the system drive is 99% likely THE main problem." sw rec
Old 02-18-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneFO View Post
LMAO!!!!

That has to be the CRUELEST program ever designed. After all the pain I've been through getting my system stable, I believe that would be the one program that would force me to launch my computer out the second floor window!!

.........I like it.
I would recommend not installing it if alcohol and firearms are involved.

On a side note the system internals stuff was developed by a guy called Mark Russovich that came to MS when Microsoft bought SystemInternals. His blog at MS is really well worth reading if you want a clue of whats coming down the pipe.

Mark was also the guy that found the Sony root kit 5 years ago or so. Very, Very smart cat.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 02-18-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Hey thats really good news, let us know how it goes. If I had any Rambus I would have offered to send it your way.

I got some EDO memory want that?
Very funny! The not so funny part is that I know what you are talking about. Getting old here! Seriously though, thanks for the offer.

GREAT NEWS! It's all working! I will post more details later but so far here are my first impressions/findings:

1. I uninstalled 6.4 but I left everything else (Plug-ins, Reason, etc).
  2. My cat stepped on my keyboard and canceled some drivers during setup (he received a smack for that one, hold the calls to PETA, I just slapped him on his bum).
  3. Install took forever. I didn't time it but it was over an hour. At the reboot Windows installed what my cat canceled. Whew! Thought I was going to have to wait another hour!
  4. At first launch it hung on Structure. Applied registry fix for IE8 and all was well after that. Startup takes longer than 6.4 but not too bad.
  5. This sucker is quiet!!! My original Mbox made a maddening noise like a gnat was in your ear. I can't believe the silence. Worth the price in that alone for me!!!
  6. During install some plugins were detected that had to be disabled. To my surprise it was only two and they were Digi ones. EQ and Compressor I think. ALL MY OTHER plugins load fine including my old-ass version of Reason Adapted 2.5. This is so important for me as I can't spend the money on upgrading Reason just yet. That and many of my old sessions use it. Granted, I haven't tested all of my old plugins but at least they load.
  7. The new interface looks nice and is very snappy. To my surprise it feels much faster than 6.4. It's as if 6.4 was a Beta and 8.0 is the real deal.
  8. I loaded up the last session I did and had to replace the EQ plugin with the new one. At first I missed the simplicity of the previous EQ but after playing with it and the Compressor plug I found them to be very much like my favorite plugin Ozone. Nice.
  9. New sessions are saved in .ptf format instead of .pts.
  10. I'm looking forward to checking out the virtual instruments and all the other new goodies.
Some questions -

Where are my old plugins loading from? I guess I never noticed that before. Is there a plugin manager available for Windows?

Should I tempt fate and upgrade to cs1? It seems there is some anti 8.0.3 sentiments on the board as well. Right now it's simply at 8.0

Thanks all!
Windows 7
Old 02-18-2010, 10:23 AM

You can find EQ2 and Dynamics2 in your "Plugins Unused" folder. Just drag them to the "Plugin" folder. Word to the wise.....Digi discontinued support for those plugs back in the 7.0 era. They are no longer supported. Do your self a favor and load up your old sessions and then replace them with the newer EQIII and DynanicsIII and save them. EQIII and the DynamicsIII are great plugs BTW and get used a lot in large HD film sessions and the like.

The plug in folders are located in your C/Program files/Common/Digidesign/DAE folder. Make sure if you have any 3rd party plugs updated to the latest versions. I dont think there is a free update for REASON Adapted 2.5 to 3.5 but haven't checked since 7.1 so you might want to look.

I think you going to like LIKE DB33, Mini Grand, Vacuum, Structure Free, and XPand2. They add a lot of value to the program.

I suppose I should recycle the EDO (and the COAST)

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 02-18-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
You can find EQ2 and Dynamics2 in your "Plugins Unused" folder. Just drag them to the "Plugin" folder. Word to the wise.....Digi discontinued support for those plugs back in the 7.0 era. They are no longer supported. Do your self a favor and load up your old sessions and then replace them with the newer EQIII and DynanicsIII and save them. EQIII and the DynamicsIII are great plugs BTW and get used a lot in large HD film sessions and the like.

The plug in folders are located in your C/Program files/Common/Digidesign/DAE folder. Make sure if you have any 3rd party plugs updated to the latest versions. I dont think there is a free update for REASON Adapted 2.5 to 3.5 but haven't checked since 7.1 so you might want to look.

I think you going to like LIKE DB33, Mini Grand, Vacuum, Structure Free, and XPand2. They add a lot of value to the program.

I suppose I should recycle the EDO (and the COAST)
Yes Sunburst, eWaste that stuff! Although, someone who is still using an older network printer might want that EDO.

Back to ProTools - I'm not looking back with my plugins. I was simply wondering where the folder was in case I need to move more stuff out of it. I saw that cool manager for Mac but nothing for PC, huh?
Windows 7