Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 10-03-2013, 10:55 AM

Default [RESOLVED] 11R - PT11 Audio

For some reason, I always feel inclined to apologize for any oversight of a previous similar posting, so: sorry for any duplicity.

That said; I'm still in the trial version of PT11 on my Win7 Pro PC and have been running it using a Mackie Onyx 1640FW as the main interface. Today I've tried running using the 11R as the interface and seem to be stumbling with an issue. When firing up PT10.3.6 and at the start of a completely new session (Guitar - Metal Guitar, for example), the Eleven Rack becomes inaudible until I arm a track it is routed to. Do the same in PT11, the Eleven Rack is still audible and never mute-able. I even re-installed the 11R driver (1.1.6) and now, as opposed to hearing L&R all the time, I only hear left.

Any direction and/or resolving response would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by brianiac5150; 10-09-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:08 AM

Default Re: 11R - PT11 Audio

OK...just tried a completely blank session and all seems to be working fine. ???

EDIT: Crap...just realized I'm still in 10 (saw Little Radiator in my plug-in list). Back in a sec...

EDIT: Left PT10, back to PT11, selected ROCK from MUSIC template and everything seems fine. Weird. I'm gonna mess around with a few more templates.

Last edited by brianiac5150; 10-03-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:55 AM

No one else is having this issue?

Again...when simply having my guitar plugged in (volume wide open and monitors connected to 11R L/R outputs) I can hear the guitar, as usual. In all other PTv, once a session is started, the guitar cannot be heard unless a track is instantiated and record armed with the guitar as the source input. This is not the case on several PT NEW SESSION TEMPLATES and I've not been able to get this figured out with any session and when I default all I/O before starting a session, the L/R audio I have turns to L only.

???
Old 10-08-2013, 07:04 AM

Benoni...are you able to quickly test this and/or reply? Seems either I'm the only one with this issue or simply can't get a reply to this here.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianiac5150 View Post
Benoni...are you able to quickly test this and/or reply? Seems either I'm the only one with this issue or simply can't get a reply to this here.
I can, but I don't really understand your problem.

Are you saying the problem is you have to Arm a track in order to hear the guitar.... because that is normal.

Or are you saying that you are getting Doubling - meaning you can hear the rig signal even when a track is not armed (or input is off for HD), but when you arm the track you now have doubled the signal. Kinda like when you use the 11R with other DAW's, you are monitoring all the time.

I have had the doubling happen before. Everything was performing fine, then all the sudden when I armed a track - it just didn't sound right. I changed rigs and it still sounded weird. So I un-armed the track, and I could still hear the guitar. I just needed to shut-down PT and re-start and everything was back to normal. It's only happened once and I don't use PT11 hardly at all since there is no 11R editor and all my drums VI's are still RTAS only.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-08-2013, 10:55 AM

I never use templates, but because you mentioned them I tested out 3 and they all performed just fine.

Are there any in particular that are not working for you?

When the problem happens, can you shutdown PT and restart? Does that fix it?

Are you running other programs at the same time?

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-08-2013, 12:07 PM

The issue is when I start PT11, I can hear my Eleven Rack - the monitors are directly connected to it (this is as expected). When I create a new session (blank, using any of the 11R templates and some of the others - have not tried every one of them) I should no longer be able to hear the 11R, until I assign it to and arm a track, however, I can hear it. It's always generating output, armed track or not. Even an empty session.

I've restarted my PC many, many times since first posting and continue to try other presets when I'm able. I am not running other app's at the same time.

Without changing any connectivity, I can start a PT10 session and everything works fine. ie - cannot hear the 11R in a session until a track's input/output is routed for the 11R and it's armed or to an AUX track.

Is my explanation making sense?
Old 10-08-2013, 01:23 PM

Yeah that makes sense. Sounds like Pro Tools is not seeing the 11R as an interface or the driver is acting up.

What about uninstalling every Avid 11R driver you have?

We are talking Windows right?

If you go to Device Manager and choose VIEW>Show Hidden Items

Looks in Sound, video and game controllers

Do you have multiple Avid Eleven Rack entries?

Before uninstalling anything from there, first head to Programs and Features and uninstall your current 11R driver - turn off the 11R first. Then go back to Device Manager and make sure everything that says Eleven Rack is gone. You can Right Click an item to uninstall it.

After everything is uninstalled, restart the PC, install the latest 11R driver - turn off PC.

Turn ON 11R, turn ON PC - launch PT11.

If that does not work, uninstall PT11 and re-install.

Try all of this with ALL other interfaces off and unplugged from the system. You may even want to try uninstalling your Onyx drivers before trying this, just for troubleshooting purposes.

I cannot re-create this issue, its only happened to me once and that was after PT being open for probably 9 hours.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 PM

Benoni...

Thanks for you review, reply and assistance with this.

I had done everything you listed except turn off my 11R when installing the driver. If this was instructed somewhere, I've completely overlooked it on not only this initial install, but every 11R and/or 002R driver update. I know my POD driver always used to tell you to turn of and disconnect it, however, I've never done that with any other driver I can recall.

Regardless...doing so now has my 11R working as "it should" within PT11.

Again...Thanks!
Old 10-09-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianiac5150 View Post
Benoni...

Thanks for you review, reply and assistance with this.

I had done everything you listed except turn off my 11R when installing the driver. If this was instructed somewhere, I've completely overlooked it on not only this initial install, but every 11R and/or 002R driver update. I know my POD driver always used to tell you to turn of and disconnect it, however, I've never done that with any other driver I can recall.

Regardless...doing so now has my 11R working as "it should" within PT11.

Again...Thanks!
Good to hear.

It seems that the 11R drivers don't completely uninstall OR a default Windows driver loads for the 11R when it is not Turned Off before uninstalling the 11R Driver. And then that causes some kind of conflict in PT11, but not PT10 - its weird.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio