Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-03-2020, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Protools 12.XX performance optimization script and important tips!

This solution worked for me on my i9 9900K build on Windows 10 Pro 1903 and Pro Tools 2019.12. My interface is an RME Babyface Pro with the latest drivers installed. Optimizing Windows based on Pro Tools guide doesn't help. Playback with two audio tracks is barely possible at a 64 or 128 buffer until the fix is applied, after which point it plays back smoothly. Many thanks for this script, it's a big help.

I can confirm that using Processor Lasso or a script that launches Pro Tools with one core disabled in the processor affinity settings doesn't work, the settings must be applied either with the script manually in task manager.

However it begs the questions, why is it necessary? Any ideas of other ways to trouble shoot or some indication from Avid that a fix is in the works? Seems to me to be unacceptable behavior for a pro software of this caliber.

EDIT: Increasing the buffer to 1024 seems to more or less get rid of the CPU spikes, but running the script still seemed to offer a minute improvement based on an unscientific test.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgillam View Post
This solution worked for me on my i9 9900K build on Windows 10 Pro 1903 and Pro Tools 2019.12. My interface is an RME Babyface Pro with the latest drivers installed. Optimizing Windows based on Pro Tools guide doesn't help. Playback with two audio tracks is barely possible at a 64 or 128 buffer until the fix is applied, after which point it plays back smoothly. Many thanks for this script, it's a big help.

I can confirm that using Processor Lasso or a script that launches Pro Tools with one core disabled in the processor affinity settings doesn't work, the settings must be applied either with the script manually in task manager.

However it begs the questions, why is it necessary? Any ideas of other ways to trouble shoot or some indication from Avid that a fix is in the works? Seems to me to be unacceptable behavior for a pro software of this caliber.

EDIT: Increasing the buffer to 1024 seems to more or less get rid of the CPU spikes, but running the script still seemed to offer a minute improvement based on an unscientific test.
You should be able to playback / record tons of tracks at a 64 hw buffer w a 9900k without any script like this. You have problems with settings whether it be bios and or OS that are causing your issues. I can literally have 100+ tracks in playback with lots of plugins and be doing overdubs on tracks at 128.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-04-2020, 10:35 AM

This thread has the optimizations I did as well as ALL the Avid ones.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-04-2020, 12:04 PM

Thanks to you both. When I toggled processor settings in BIOS it didn't resolve the issue, and my build has been rock solid with Cubase. However running Pro Tools as administrator seems to solve the CPU spikes without the need for the script. The problem with running PT as admin as Avid suggests is that drag and drop via Explorer and the Splice app no longer works, even when I run Splice as administrator. Do you know of a workaround?

Running ADSR Sample Manager and Resonic Player as admin allows me to drag and drop to PT when all are running as admin.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:15 AM

SOLVED
I had similar performance problems. I was able to solve them by:

1) Changing Affinity to disable one processor from use by Pro Tools
2) Increasing the Priority for Pro Tools
3) Increasing the Hardware Buffer

Using only one of the steps above didn't help, but all three fixed the problem immediately.

BONUS: You can make the Affinity and Priority changes PERMANENT for Pro Tools! You just need a free program called Process Lasso: https://bitsum.com/
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr
Old 07-14-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismeraz View Post
SOLVED
I had similar performance problems. I was able to solve them by:

1) Changing Affinity to disable one processor from use by Pro Tools
2) Increasing the Priority for Pro Tools
3) Increasing the Hardware Buffer

Using only one of the steps above didn't help, but all three fixed the problem immediately.

BONUS: You can make the Affinity and Priority changes PERMANENT for Pro Tools! You just need a free program called Process Lasso: https://bitsum.com/

Your exact process is what works for me and allows me to run 96K sessions on a five-year-old PC.

So this program by bitsum Negates the need to run any kind of script then? It says that there is a free version but I don’t see a separate download for such a version.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:26 PM

Right, no script needed!

The Download button on that page is for the free version.

It's a powerful app, definitely read the manual. I recommend choosing ‘Induce Performance Mode’ for Pro Tools.

We can also set I/O priority in addition to process priority with this tool. Not sure exactly what it does but I will try it.
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr
Old 07-14-2020, 01:56 PM

Hi,

So, I’ve seen this type of optimization app or script elsewhere, but it always had to be opened and installed each time one opened PT. I think it also had to open exactly after booting up PT, but can’t remember if it was before or after opening a session. I believe it disabled 2 cores and made these affinity and maybe another change. I’m being vague , because I’m faraway from my studio. It was called pro tools fix or something like that.
Anyway, I’m a bit confused. When I return to Boston, do I just download and install the program that you folks provided that link to, or is there a more review bust paid version.
Please just clarify that point.
Thank you
Steve K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2020, 02:30 PM

With Process Lasso there is no script needed, and you don't have to touch it ever again after initial setup. Settings will persist!

Some testing by volunteers is needed, because it still isn't clear to me if we need to be setting a high CPU priority or high I/O priority for Pro Tools.

Bitsum say: "It may seem paradox but it is in fact more sensible to reduce the priority of the busy process so that the system is prepared to let other processes have some time thus allowing them to remain functional. In most cases other processes will not be using a significant amount of the CPU’s time anyway, and allowing them to execute when they want to will not slow the busy process by any notable amount."

They therefore recommend using their ProBalance option instead of increasing CPU priority for the desired application. Briefly, ProBalance is supposed to modify CPU scheduling briefly during high loads in a way similar to Linux and MacOS, penalizing CPU bound processes while rewarding I/O bound processes.

Definitely read this: https://bitsum.com/how-probalance-works/ and the full manual here: https://bitsum.com/processlasso-docs/
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr

Last edited by chrismeraz; 07-22-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:49 AM

Default Protools 12.XX performance optimization script and important tips!

Ok, finally downloaded. If I use Pro Balance there is no need for setting priority, affinity, etc.?

I did initially set those but they did not persist upon closing Pro Tools and reopening it. The settings were wiped clean.

Will Pro Balance simply work on my whole system and dynamically adjust for best performance?

UPDATE 9/3/20: there are settings that can be set for the individual session or that will persist “always”.

I tried using the pro balance plan but it didn’t prioritize ProTools in a way that I wasn’t getting errors so I did have to set affinity and priority with ProTools to “always” and that solved the issue for me.

I am still testing this program but I am impressed enough that I will see if I can run a 96K session with a lot of tracks which I could not do before.

Last edited by StillHollow; 09-04-2020 at 04:22 AM.