Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2009, 01:16 PM

Default Re: PT8 constant -6101 cpu issue - HELP!

Yeah, I've tried that.

What's kind of strange is that it seems like the problem occures after a few hours of use. And even if I try to restart everthing it's no change.

I just don't get it!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:58 PM

I'm having the same issues with PT 8 and have posted about this in other similar threads.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:38 PM

are you recording to your internal drive??
Old 07-08-2009, 07:59 AM

Have tried:
- a FW800-disk (on the same bus as the PFL)
- a USB-disk
- the internal one

So far the USB-disk and the internal one seems to work the best.

And yes, I know I'm not supposed to use the internal one, I just need to test everything :)
Old 07-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozerbabar View Post
Have tried:
How is that connected, exactly?

The way I would recommend doing it is to use a FW800-FW400 cable from the FW800 port on the computer to the FW400 port on the drive, assuming it has a FW400 port. Then connect the LightBridge to the other FW400 port.

Ideally you would get a FW400 expresscard, like this one and connect the drive to that.

Are you sure you've disabled firewire networking in the Network control panel? How did you disable Spotlight? Are there any other apps running in the background?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Have tried:
- a USB-disk
- the internal one

So far the USB-disk and the internal one seems to work the best.

And yes, I know I'm not supposed to use the internal one, I just need to test everything :)
so let me get this strait,........

so far you've tested the 3 things YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO DO, and you can't figure out why your system won't run........

yep must obviously be a problem on digi's end.........
Old 07-11-2009, 09:44 AM

So you got any better idea of getting this to work?

The mac has two USB 2.0 ports, one FW400 and one FW800. What would you do?

BTW I never have had ANY issue recording to a usb-drive or the internal drive ever, and I've used PT for 7 years. I guess that makes me an idiot....

Oh, and I found the issue. Go back to using LE and buying a 003 or 002. Talked to a bunch of pals using PT and EVERYONE has had the same problems with M-audio drivers. Not ONE of them has had a functional PTMP. All I hear is: M-audio drivers are terrible!

What happens is that the error accures after a few hours of use. Before that everything is fine (no matter what connections I use of what drive I record to/playback from). Then: ERROR. I have even tried 3 different M-audio interfaces and two different macs. Same issue.

I'm selling off my M-audio interfaces and getting back my LE-rig. It's not just worth it using all this energy on it.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
So you got any better idea of getting this to work?

The mac has two USB 2.0 ports, one FW400 and one FW800. What would you do?
The FW400 and FW800 ports are on the same buss, and that's the problem. DigiTechSupport recommended an Express Card which will give you two more FW ports, but the CPU sees them as being on a separate buss than the built-in. NO MORE TRAFFIC ISSUES.

Quote:
BTW I never have had ANY issue recording to a usb-drive or the internal drive ever, and I've used PT for 7 years. I guess that makes me an idiot....

Oh, and I found the issue. Go back to using LE and buying a 003 or 002. Talked to a bunch of pals using PT and EVERYONE has had the same problems with M-audio drivers. Not ONE of them has had a functional PTMP. All I hear is: M-audio drivers are terrible!

What happens is that the error accures after a few hours of use. Before that everything is fine (no matter what connections I use of what drive I record to/playback from). Then: ERROR. I have even tried 3 different M-audio interfaces and two different macs. Same issue.

I'm selling off my M-audio interfaces and getting back my LE-rig. It's not just worth it using all this energy on it.
I've used M-Audio interfaces for YEARS, as well as MOTU and MetricHalo, all with the same results. You MUST have your drives and interfaces on separate busses for maximum throughput. I even have separate FW cards on our Mac towers to GUARANTEE there are separate paths for audio and data.

You can find Express Cards here http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/noteb...ress34_Cardbus for as little as $40, depending on what you want.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:38 PM

Yes, I know about the FW-bus issue, and that's why I have tried with the internal and and usb-disk.

Anyways, this applies to two different PFLB and two different macs, and adding that to the (horror)stories I've hear lately (from peeps I trust) it's got to be a driver issue.

Try searching on the 6101 issue on this forum. I'm not the only one....
Old 07-11-2009, 02:00 PM

I'm just telling you as long as I've been doing this with M-Audio, not to mention the 5+ years of PTHD, I've never had a problem as long as there were separate FW busses. Even Digital Performer prefers working this way, regardless of interface or drivers.

Quote:
Yes, I know about the FW-bus issue, and that's why I have tried with the internal and and usb-disk.
You've tired INTERNAL and USB which are NOT-SUPPORTED ways of recording audio. I don't think you'll get a lot of help from Digi until you follow their rules of operation. Unfortunately, on a MBPro, you need more FW ports.

I'm sure there's lots of horror stories about M-Audio drivers, but I've never had issues using multiple traffic options.