Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2020, 09:04 PM

Default No MIDI signal coming in from USB from eDrums

I just got a Donner DED-200 drum set and I used a USB to connect to my Windows 10 desktop. When I first hooked it up, it didn't work. Then when I opened a different session, it started working for some reason. That was yesterday. Pro Tools 12 crashed and I had to restart my computer. Now it won't even detect any signals coming in from the drums. I have a keyboard hooked up via MIDI for power and recognition, but uses standard MIDI cables to go into the back of my mBox 2 Pro interface. Pro Tools detects that fine.

I've gone into the MIDI studio setup, but Donner is not listed as a manufacturer, so I just chose KAT and then DrumKat. That's what was working yesterday.

When I load up my Addictive Drums virtual instrument, I can select the appropriate input channel, but the meter reader isn't even showing a signal coming in from the drums now.

I've tried setting up additional MIDI studio devices, like Roland or Alesis, thinking that maybe it's just the DrumKat thing isn't the right one anymore... I'm grasping at straws.

Can someone give me a run down on the typical way this should work?

When Pro Tools crashed, I have no reason to believe it affected the drum kit in any way, so I don't think it's that.

Using Pro Tools 12 on a Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram
MIDI keyboard is Keystation Pro 88
Interface is mBox 2 Pro

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-01-2020, 11:21 PM

Default Re: No MIDI signal coming in from USB from eDrums

I figured it out. I was trying to use the DrumKat as the input device specifically on the instrument input. When I changed it to "all", it started working. The only problem now is that the notes played are doubled. I know that I have to find an instrument to use in the MIDI setup that will let me choose that so the doubled notes don't hit, but I'll be damned if I know which one to use as Donner is not on the Manufacturer List.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:52 AM

Default Re: No MIDI signal coming in from USB from eDrums

Try either Yamaha or Roland instead of DrumKat. Also get a free MIDI monitoring utility like MIDI-OX. Run it outside of PT and it will tell you what's coming in from your drum brain. I Googled your e-kit and apparently it's an oldie - Amazon lists but shows it as out of stock and they don't know if/when it'll ever be in stock.

QAPLA!