Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 08-27-2020, 02:19 PM

Default Won't switch audio engines

PT decided to default to my sound card. When booting up, reaches "initializing audio engine", I get a message that it can't initialize the audio engine. Click OK, switch to MOTU interface, click OK, startup screen returns to "initializing audio engine". After a few seconds I get the same message, when I click OK I see that it is still on my sound card, switch to MOTU, click OK, around and around and around. Switching to MOTU and hitting OK seems to take, but doesn't. Just keeps returning to internal computer sound card and will not stay with MOTU interface. This is after two years of running with Windows 10 and MOTU LP32.
Anyone?

Last edited by BruceKahn; 08-28-2020 at 09:40 AM. Reason: to make the situation clearer
Old 08-27-2020, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Won't switch audio engines

What if you press"N" while PT is starting (the regular way to select audio engines at PT launch)?
Old 08-27-2020, 03:02 PM

It may be worth looking at your Windows sound Settings. There are several things that will cause Windows to grab the interface as its "default playback device" and Windows users need to set that to the on-board sound card. In recent history, that got changed on my rig by updating Windows, updating my graphics driver and updating my interface driver Another setting that often gets changed by a Windows 10 update is the Power Management feature on USB ports(aka "USB Root Hub" in Device Manager)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-28-2020, 09:30 AM

Ben, thanks for taking the time to make a suggestion. Unfortunately, I got the same result.
Albee, yes, at one point before posting I found that Windows had grabbed MOTU as the default audio driver. I corrected that and it did not help. Also already reinstalled MOTU, no help. Just checked Windows for all updates, there were a handful but not the sound card. I'm assuming all is OK with the USB connection because PT is seeing the MOTU, it just won't hold the selection when I choose it. It seems perhaps PT keeps selecting the sound card regardless of what I manually select, and I can't find anything in PT settings that would account for that. Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited by BruceKahn; 08-28-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:55 AM

hmmm, maybe go to Device Manager and disable the on-board sound completely(so Pro Tools can't use it)? If that allows PT to select the MOTU, then you can go back to Device Manager and re-enable the on-board sound. Shot in the dark

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-28-2020, 12:36 PM

Interesting shot in the dark. Disabling the sound card did indeed mean that PT only saw the MOTU, but it still failed to initialize the audio engine.
I completely uninstalled and reinstalled the MOTU to see if that would do anything.
It didn't.
Reinstalled PT drivers.
Nothing.
About to completely uninstall and reinstall PT.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:44 PM

Stab in the dark - might be something to do with the motu and exclusive mode? I used to have issues with a Fireface, but can't remember if I needed exlcusive mode on or off. In the playback devices under proerties for the motu, 'allow apps to take exclusice control of this device" or something like that. Might be that it is enabled and Windows is taking exclusive control, not allowing PT to use it..?
Old 08-30-2020, 07:23 PM

Also try delete and reinstall MOTU ASIO driver.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceKahn View Post
PT decided to default to my sound card. When booting up, reaches "initializing audio engine", I get a message that it can't initialize the audio engine. Click OK, switch to MOTU interface, click OK, startup screen returns to "initializing audio engine". After a few seconds I get the same message, when I click OK I see that it is still on my sound card, switch to MOTU, click OK, around and around and around. Switching to MOTU and hitting OK seems to take, but doesn't. Just keeps returning to internal computer sound card and will not stay with MOTU interface. This is after two years of running with Windows 10 and MOTU LP32.
Anyone?
This happened to me yesterday ... right after installing Source-Connect Pro.

Win 10, PT 2020.5, Focusrite LS56, system sound never to the LS56. New install of Source-Connect Pro. "Initialize audio engine" got "stuck", exactly as you describe above. After reboots & trashed prefs, I was able to get PT to default to the LS56 per usual. It seems the SC install hosed me. Any idea why? Thnx!!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 09-12-2020, 02:24 PM

If I start Pro Tools and forget to turn on my RME UFX, Pro Tools starts using the Source-Connect audio driver. Maybe PT kept seeing that first and then freaked? I'm on W10 too.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction