Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2010, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Digi 002 Power Harness Issue or Firewire Chip Issue?

Without looking at your specific hardware issue I don't know for sure what is wrong. What I can tell you is that it is a common symptom of both cold solder joints and certain failing components for them to work until they get warm (hot) and then they stop working. When they cool off, they work again for a few minutes. The cycle can go on and on.

You need to get it into a qualified shop.

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 04-04-2010, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the tips guy's, ill call my dealer on thuesday and take it from there. In the mean time ill use my mbox and do some editing jobs ;-)

Cheers
Old 04-05-2010, 10:56 AM

It doesn't have to be chip heat. As a matter of fact it probably isn't that. I would guess some component in your power supply is failing and goes into thermal shutdown. You power up the unit, the component overheats and shuts down the unit. You leave it off a bit, the component cools down, you turn it back on, everything heats up and it's a vicious circle. If you have access to a laser thermometer you might try taking off the bottom of the mixer, turning it upside down and then turning it on. If it's a thermal problem it shouldn't be hard to locate which sections are heating up to excessive levels. The laser thermometer should allow you to check temperatures without inserting your fingers or other devices. Good luck. Let us know the outcome.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:47 PM

Well just as I thought everything worked again I noticed it's happening again, so call to my dealer it will be.

I was just wondering to get digi email support, do I need to sign up again at Avid? I can login into my avid account with the same email and password as on the digi site but I can't login with it to get the email support.
Are these different accounts/sign ups?

Thanks and sorry if its a stupid question.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:26 PM

update; I just noticed the same thing happens in stand alone mode with the firewire disconnected on the computer side. So this starts to make me wonder that the internal hardware clock or adat clock is going down of and on. Ill sure try and capture it on camera so I got some proof of it.

Cheers
Old 04-06-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nish View Post
update; I just noticed the same thing happens in stand alone mode with the firewire disconnected on the computer side. So this starts to make me wonder that the internal hardware clock or adat clock is going down of and on. Ill sure try and capture it on camera so I got some proof of it.

Cheers
Sounds like the power harness if its doing in in standby mode. Or at least it would tend to indicate that the issue is probably not with the FW cable or FW card. Get a hold of Digi tech support and they will verify it and send you a new harness.

It would be worth your while to re seat the power harness cable and see if that fixes it.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-06-2010, 04:11 PM

if you're not comfortable working on electronics ignore this because the AC power will kill you!
If you are, you could put a meter on the power suppy DC outputs while it's alive and dead and compare. Also,if it's a heat issue on the PS a can of freeze spray carefully used might find.
When I got my harness update 5 or so years ago they sent a PS with it.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:22 AM

@sunburst79, yes it at least it indicates that it's not a fw issue on the computers side. Re seating the power harness cable doesn't seem to help either.

@dave911, I'm not really comfy working on this unit's electronics so I prefer to stay away from and make things worse.

I was wondering though If anyone could confirm this, on the adat optical I/O plugs there is one input illuminated the other one is not. Aren't they supposed to light up both when unplugging the optical cables or both go out?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nish View Post
@sunburst79, yes it at least it indicates that it's not a fw issue on the computers side. Re seating the power harness cable doesn't seem to help either.

@dave911, I'm not really comfy working on this unit's electronics so I prefer to stay away from and make things worse.

I was wondering though If anyone could confirm this, on the adat optical I/O plugs there is one input illuminated the other one is not. Aren't they supposed to light up both when unplugging the optical cables or both go out?

Thanks
The ADAT ports are normal. The ADAT Out should be lit up and the ADAT In should be non illuminated. I'll double check something with ADAT and post back if its different.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-07-2010, 10:11 AM

Nish, Do I remember correctly? I think you said that you re-seated the PS harness just once. I recall having to do this repeatedly maybe a dozen or more times to get a good seat. Just a thought.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com