Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 12-07-2019, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Anyone know the exact path to delete temp files that PT puts in the drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mother View Post
Any chance it is a Time Machine local snapshot?

I found this eating up about 20 gig on my machine.

https://www.macworld.com/article/326...-your-mac.html

Worth a try

I’d say if he is using Carbon Copy Cloner then he would have Time Machine disabled.

But yeah, it’s worth looking at every possibility for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2019, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Anyone know the exact path to delete temp files that PT puts in the drive?

Thats a good idea to check as it was not that long ago I installed CCC on my private Macs. We do all backups in the studio and on a webhotel like a cloud but with unlimited GB/TB and always have the backups off site and only pay per used GB per month.

But at home I always just moved the sessions onto a T5 Samsung SSD and brought that with me to the studio and if anything was good enough to work on we backed up that session offsite and to our SSD’s.

... so Time Machine could be activated by mistake by me.

Also as the ”system” use that 160GB I wonder what that means and whats included in the system count ..

As I see how much GB’s programs and documents use for example and thats where the DAW’s and all the audio programs are so its weird what is included in the system GB count.

I will check all your advice and report. Really greatful for all your help and I hope to find whats eating up my SSD

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-08-2019, 12:08 AM

A clean OS install won take up more than about 20GB. Add another 10GB for those two apps and plugins. I’ve got working drives that take up about 40GB total, assuming libraries etc. are on ext. drives.

Your drive usage is very high, so there must be some stuff on there that’s not being accounted for.

I’d just do a GET INFO on some of the folders and start poking around where the usage is. So try that on the apps folder and on the downloads folder and on the documents folder etc. etc.

Another one to check is your iTunes library. Those things can get big real fast. Plus, loads of people don’t realise they have duplicates of EVERY song because they have the ‘copy music to iTunes folder’ enabled and then don’t delete the original file.

There’s lots of ways you can inadvertently be wasting space on the drive. Just need to do some detective work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2019, 03:10 AM

Here's a discussion about CCC, APFS snapshots and vanishing disk space. The OP was having a similar problem. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406984 Snapshots come in at post #8.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 12-08-2019, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Here's a discussion about CCC, APFS snapshots and vanishing disk space. The OP was having a similar problem. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406984 Snapshots come in at post #8.
Thanks for the link. I'm a little confused - do snapshots only get created if you have Time Machine running? Tried researching this and i get a headache

QAPLA!
Old 12-08-2019, 04:16 AM

A couple of links that might help:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204015
A helpful explanation in the above is that if you turn off Time Machine for a while, the accumulated snapshots will be deleted. Easier than using tmutil.

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/leveragi...n-apfs-volumes
Old 12-08-2019, 06:12 AM

Again, Daisydisk makes this, finding what's using space, really easy, I promise:
DaisyDisk - Analyze disk usage and free up disk space on Mac
Old 12-08-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
A couple of links that might help:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204015
A helpful explanation in the above is that if you turn off Time Machine for a while, the accumulated snapshots will be deleted. Easier than using tmutil.

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/leveragi...n-apfs-volumes
I saw both of those links in my research but neither one explicitly answered the question: do you have to have Time Machine enabled to have snapshots created? When I look in Activity Monitor it doesn't show.

QAPLA!
Old 12-08-2019, 09:29 AM

TM (since High Sierra) creates snapshots on APFS drives along with copying to backup drive. I do not have TM enabled so no TM snapshots are created. CCC also creates snapshots if enabled. Other apps may create snapshots, but those are the only two that I use. What are you looking for in the activity monitor? Don't know how they are handled within TM backups, but the TM command line utility tmutil allows access to the snapshot functionalty.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
TM (since High Sierra) creates snapshots on APFS drives along with copying to backup drive. I do not have TM enabled so no TM snapshots are created. CCC also creates snapshots if enabled. Other apps may create snapshots, but those are the only two that I use. What are you looking for in the activity monitor? Don't know how they are handled within TM backups, but the TM command line utility tmutil allows access to the snapshot functionalty.
Thanks for the answer to my question about TM. I know about CCC creating snapshots it was what happens (or doesn't) native to High Sierra as regards snapshots.

QAPLA!