Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2018, 01:13 AM

Default MB Comp / DynEq on Chug Guitar

I've read a few different articles that recommend putting a MB Comp on chug guitar, so it's just compressing the frequencies where the chug lives.

I've been waiting for a sale (which is finally here) to buy the Waves C6, but after demoing it I'm not as interested. It alters/colors the sound too much, even when it's just on the factory default. It even seems like it's still affecting the signal when bypassed.

I don't have the cash to buy Fabfilter MB, my first choice, or something of similar quality, that's either equally or higher priced.

So on to my question.. can this same technique be duplicated by a DynEq? Maybe by making a wide bell curve to that covers the areas that'd be used my the MB?

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:16 AM

Default Re: MB Comp / DynEq on Chug Guitar

I believe dynEQ will work very similarly. Check out Waves F6 for that - affordable, versatile, not CPU hog, zero latency. And on sale now too.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gone View Post
I believe dynEQ will work very similarly. Check out Waves F6 for that - affordable, versatile, not CPU hog, zero latency. And on sale now too.
I have, and really like, the F6. It sounds great and the GUI is cool. How would the setup work if I'm not looking to cut any frequencies, just compress them. Is that even possible with a DynEq?
Old 08-31-2018, 07:46 AM

Try using a de-esser that has fully variable frequency. There are actually a lot of different ways to side chain and hit only certain frequencies, it's just quicker with MB comp.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
Try using a de-esser that has fully variable frequency. There are actually a lot of different ways to side chain and hit only certain frequencies, it's just quicker with MB comp.
I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to MB Comps, but don't they compress a (user set) range of frequencies simultaneously? Like if you set the first crossover to 200 Hz and the second to 750 Hz, the MB will compress everything inbetween those two freqs, ya?
Old 08-31-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to MB Comps, but don't they compress a (user set) range of frequencies simultaneously? Like if you set the first crossover to 200 Hz and the second to 750 Hz, the MB will compress everything inbetween those two freqs, ya?
Yes.
Keep in mind that multiband comps and dynamic eq's are two completely different things. There's been much bits spilled here on that subject. I have multiple version of each type of plugin so I know what's what. Dynamic eq allows you to specify a q factor and multiband comps don't. A multiband comp will more or less treat the pertinent band flatly bound by whatever crossover slope is used on each end of the band. I have C6 and it's pretty good and you're mistaken that it affects the signal when bypassed. I also have the FabFilter Pro MB and while expensive and a tricky beast to tame it's worth the effort. For dynamic eq I use the HOFA IQ-EQ which can work in both dynamic eq as well as regular eq and as a bonus work as a regular compressor. Again not cheap but worth it.

QAPLA!
Old 09-03-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
I have, and really like, the F6. It sounds great and the GUI is cool. How would the setup work if I'm not looking to cut any frequencies, just compress them. Is that even possible with a DynEq?
For the application you describe, there will be very small (if even audible) difference between compressing frequencies and reducing frequencies. Give it a try and see if it works for you.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
For the application you describe, there will be very small (if even audible) difference between compressing frequencies and reducing frequencies. Give it a try and see if it works for you.
When triggering an external track (via side chain), are there certain instruments where MB Comp works better than DynEq, and vise versa? Is it not that black n white, i.e. every mix is different, or even more complicated, like depending on how other competing tracks are being balanced if there are more then just two tracks cluttering a common freq?
Old 09-05-2018, 03:03 AM

Quote:
When triggering an external track (via side chain), are there certain instruments where MB Comp works better than DynEq, and vise versa? Is it not that black n white, i.e. every mix is different, or even more complicated, like depending on how other competing tracks are being balanced if there are more then just two tracks cluttering a common freq?
Only in terms of workflow, or philosophy if you want. In the end both tools are just attenuating certain frequency range. The only principal difference is the curve. With MB, it is a band-pass (flat in the middle, HP and LP at the extremities), while with dynamic EQ it is bell or shelf or whatever else it has in it, and you usually can control the Q. Just keep that in mind, and then it is easy to select the right kind of tool.

Now, as concerning specific plugins, that's another question. There are some very versatile like Waves F6 or FF Pro-MB, where you can do pretty anything, or some more simple ones like bx_dynEQ, or even totally basic ones, you choose.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Only in terms of workflow, or philosophy if you want. In the end both tools are just attenuating certain frequency range. The only principal difference is the curve. With MB, it is a band-pass (flat in the middle, HP and LP at the extremities), while with dynamic EQ it is bell or shelf or whatever else it has in it, and you usually can control the Q. Just keep that in mind, and then it is easy to select the right kind of tool.

Now, as concerning specific plugins, that's another question. There are some very versatile like Waves F6 or FF Pro-MB, where you can do pretty anything, or some more simple ones like bx_dynEQ, or even totally basic ones, you choose.
Problem with the FF Pro-MB is not being able to get really narrow bands; you can only get so far so doing anything surgical is out of the question. And the limit is not the same across all bands; i.e. not a number like say 200 HZ across all but maybe 200HZ in a low band and 2KHz in a higher band. Depends where on the frequency spectrum you are. I know because i have it and have questioned FF about it. They say if you want narrower then to go to a dynamic EQ.

Luckily the HOFA IQ-EQ I have will do anything - regular EQ, dynamic EQ and multiband compression. Although the latter is a bit hairy to setup.

QAPLA!