Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 09-03-2015, 02:42 PM

Default Education with 4 Year $99.00 Upgrade Cost

For people like me who own PT10/11 Education that do not get the upgrade every year for free, but for $99.00. How is that affected by the new policies?

1. If I upgrade prior to September 30, do I get Eleven for Free?

2. If I upgrade to PT12 will I get all the free plugins?

3. Now that Non Education users can upgrade just the software, without support and plugins for 99.00, will my annual cost get reduced?

4. If the annual upgrade stays the same at 99.00 for the education version, will I get the free plugins and support, or will I have to pay another 99.00 like regular non education users do?

5. If I do decide to upgrade, how do I even do that, as there is nothing on the Avid store for upgrading student version from PT10/11 to PT12?

To me, people like me should get some kind of a break in either upgrade pricing and/or the extra's as there should be a significant discount for education users vs regular users as there always has been and like there is now, for anyone buying education today.

For those that may be curious, I own both PTHD10/11 as well as the education version of PT10/11 Vanilla, I get my eligibility for that because we Homeschool our kids, and my son uses PT10/11 Vanilla.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp

Last edited by Barry Johns; 09-03-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Education with 4 Year $99.00 Upgrade Cost

When I received my free EDU upgrade to 12, it didn't come with a support plan. I'm currently trying to figure out how to add one. If I get it straightened out, I'll let you know what I find out about upgrades and EDU versions.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:25 PM

I'm in a similar position, I have a 10+11HD license bundle, but as a PT10 + Complete Production Toolkit upgrade to HD.

I also have 2x vanilla licenses, bought as a mature student. One is a 'four years of free upgrades' version, and I have been given a license for PT12, but no support plan. This, I think, is the reason for current chaos among people like me, as only those people on support plans appear to have been provided with installer links for 11.3.2 and 12.2 in their Avid accounts. People without a plan don't have tjose links yet.

I am able to update to 12.2 via the Application Manager, but that method doesn't give me direct access to the installer file for archiving purposes. There is currently no way for me to get the 11.3.2 update, it does not appear in any of the three entries in my Avid account for the Pro Tools 11 licenses.

My second student license is still, after two years going through a dispute process with Studica.com, who I bought it from. I bought it after the PT11 announcement, but Studica were still advertising PT10 with 4 years of free upgrades, so I bought it. Avid refuses to accept it, saying I need to take it up with my supplier. Studica says they supplied it in good faith having been themsrlves supplied with it by Avid European Distributor, who in turn say they supplied it in good faith having been given the stock by Avid.

At this stage I'm despairing of it ever being resolved, but after a upcoming holiday I intend to take the case to Trading Standards, ad, after all, I only want what Studica advertised. We'll see what happens.

If that fails, then my second student license will be on the four years of upgrades at $99 per upgrade deal. When Pro Tools 12 was announced, we were told that people on the $99 per upgrade deal would, when upgrading to PT12, be automaticalky transferred onto the new $99 per year suppirt plan deal, as the price difference was 'negligible', even though, based on previous history of paid upgrades around once every two years, this is actually a doubling of cost.

Given that during the webinar, Tim said that EDU licenses were already aggresively priced and that they had not considered changing the T&C of such licenses yet, but may look into it in due course, I suspect that the option to rent pkugins as part of the suppirt plan will not be available to students 'at this time'.

Similarly, I don't imagine there will by any movement on upgrade pricing for students, to reintroduce a price differential advantage for students. At least, not any time soon.

One othe point I raised at the time of the pt12 announcement was never satisfactorily answered to my knowledge.

Under the four years at $99 per upgrade deal, you only had to prove student eligibility at the time of the original purchase. Avid confirmed this was so that when people finished their studies Avid would continue to support thrm with cheaper upgrades in the eatly years of their career.

The new $99 per year support plan deal for students is very different. The four year limit is removed, but the student must prove again that they are still a student at each and every time the support plan falls due for renewal.

My question was if we were automatically transferred onto the new $99 per year support plan deal on upgrading to PT12, would the old eligibility criteria still apply in the future, or would we be forced to prove we are still students at each subsequent upgrade. That has never been clarified to my knowledge.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 09-03-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
I'm in a similar position, I have a 10+11HD license bundle, but as a PT10 + Complete Production Toolkit upgrade to HD.

I also have 2x vanilla licenses, bought as a mature student. One is a 'four years of free upgrades' version, and I have been given a license for PT12, but no support plan. This, I think, is the reason for current chaos among people like me, as only those people on support plans appear to have been provided with installer links for 11.3.2 and 12.2 in their Avid accounts. People without a plan don't have tjose links yet.

I am able to update to 12.2 via the Application Manager, but that method doesn't give me direct access to the installer file for archiving purposes. There is currently no way for me to get the 11.3.2 update, it does not appear in any of the three entries in my Avid account for the Pro Tools 11 licenses.

My second student license is still, after two years going through a dispute process with Studica.com, who I bought it from. I bought it after the PT11 announcement, but Studica were still advertising PT10 with 4 years of free upgrades, so I bought it. Avid refuses to accept it, saying I need to take it up with my supplier. Studica says they supplied it in good faith having been themsrlves supplied with it by Avid European Distributor, who in turn say they supplied it in good faith having been given the stock by Avid.

At this stage I'm despairing of it ever being resolved, but after a upcoming holiday I intend to take the case to Trading Standards, ad, after all, I only want what Studica advertised. We'll see what happens.

If that fails, then my second student license will be on the four years of upgrades at $99 per upgrade deal. When Pro Tools 12 was announced, we were told that people on the $99 per upgrade deal would, when upgrading to PT12, be automaticalky transferred onto the new $99 per year suppirt plan deal, as the price difference was 'negligible', even though, based on previous history of paid upgrades around once every two years, this is actually a doubling of cost.

Given that during the webinar, Tim said that EDU licenses were already aggresively priced and that they had not considered changing the T&C of such licenses yet, but may look into it in due course, I suspect that the option to rent pkugins as part of the suppirt plan will not be available to students 'at this time'.

Similarly, I don't imagine there will by any movement on upgrade pricing for students, to reintroduce a price differential advantage for students. At least, not any time soon.

One othe point I raised at the time of the pt12 announcement was never satisfactorily answered to my knowledge.

Under the four years at $99 per upgrade deal, you only had to prove student eligibility at the time of the original purchase. Avid confirmed this was so that when people finished their studies Avid would continue to support thrm with cheaper upgrades in the eatly years of their career.

The new $99 per year support plan deal for students is very different. The four year limit is removed, but the student must prove again that they are still a student at each and every time the support plan falls due for renewal.

My question was if we were automatically transferred onto the new $99 per year support plan deal on upgrading to PT12, would the old eligibility criteria still apply in the future, or would we be forced to prove we are still students at each subsequent upgrade. That has never been clarified to my knowledge.
Looks like you had a pretty good deal as a student already, I certainly don't see any harm in proving that you still have student status in order for each subsequent upgrade at student prices .. Just a thought ...
Mac Pro 2x2.8 ghz Intel Zeon, 20 gig ram, Yosemite 10.10.5, Pro Tools 10,11,12.7.1, Logic Pro X 10.2, UA Apollo 16 quad, UA Octo Pcies, Dangerous Music 2 Bus, Antelope Audio Satori, Lynx Studio Hilo, Neve 542, Neve 511, API 505 DI, Bettermaker CV502. Avid Artist Mix, Avid Artist Control, Softube Console 1 mk11.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
For people like me who own PT10/11 Education that do not get the upgrade every year for free, but for $99.00. How is that affected by the new policies?

1. If I upgrade prior to September 30, do I get Eleven for Free?

2. If I upgrade to PT12 will I get all the free plugins?

3. Now that Non Education users can upgrade just the software, without support and plugins for 99.00, will my annual cost get reduced?

4. If the annual upgrade stays the same at 99.00 for the education version, will I get the free plugins and support, or will I have to pay another 99.00 like regular non education users do?

5. If I do decide to upgrade, how do I even do that, as there is nothing on the Avid store for upgrading student version from PT10/11 to PT12?
Hi Barry, here are some answers to your questions.

1. If I upgrade prior to September 30, do I get Eleven for Free? No, Edu licenses and monthly subscriptions are not eligible for this offer, sorry.

2. If I upgrade to PT12 will I get all the free plugins? Absolutely, the plug-in bundle is included as part of the Edu upgrade plan.

3. Now that Non Education users can upgrade just the software, without support and plugins for 99.00, will my annual cost get reduced? There's only one option for owners of PT Edu licenses, and that's the Annual Upgrade and Support plan for $99. With that you get upgrades, access to the plug-in bundle and support.

4. If the annual upgrade stays the same at 99.00 for the education version, will I get the free plugins and support, or will I have to pay another 99.00 like regular non education users do? Plug-ins and support are included as part of your plan at no extra charge.

5. If I do decide to upgrade, how do I even do that, as there is nothing on the Avid store for upgrading student version from PT10/11 to PT12? The store will be updated soon, apologies for the wait.

Best regards,
Tony
Old 09-03-2015, 04:25 PM

I cant even figure out how to upgrade to 12 for 99 bucks with my student license.

How is this even done?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 09-03-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjewel View Post
Looks like you had a pretty good deal as a student already, I certainly don't see any harm in proving that you still have student status in order for each subsequent upgrade at student prices .. Just a thought ...
Except, for example, I am no longer a student, and people bought those student licenses on the basis of terms and conditions that explicitly say you only have to prove you are a student at the time of original purchase.

The point I'm making is that the question has never been answered.

People on the 'four years at $99 per upgrade' deal who upgrade to PT12 are migrated onto the '$99 per year for a support plan' deal, automatically and with no choice.

It may not be mega bucks, but for some struggling ex students, it could be the difference between upgrading, or not.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 09-04-2015, 05:41 AM

Also where is this option to upgrade?if I'm not a student anymore how to I get onto an upgrade path?