Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-31-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Continuous Audio Education...

One of the benefits offered by my employer is continuous education. I was wondering what classes there are out there in the New York area aside from the ProTools certification courses. I like to think I am pretty savvy when it comes to ProTools, but I suppose that is more up to my peers than myself. Anyway, I was thinking either in the vein of studio design or acoustics. Any thoughts???

Thanks...

Mark
Old 07-31-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Continuous Audio Education...

Hi Mark,

My Union does the same thing. When I was in LA, I took extra classes at Video Symphony (which is awesome!). They have classes like Sound FX Editing, Dialog Editing, Foley, etc... All of the classes are taught by people actually working full-time in their respective field. I would love to take more classes from them if they offered them online... hint hint.

I would say, if you haven't taken the Pro Tools Certification Coursework, it really is worth the money. The 101 & 201 classes may be a bit of a refresher, but I think you can kind of "opt-out" if you have decent experience. The 210M/P and 310 classes are really great. I know quite a few guys with tons of experience who benefited from the classes. I've also heard really good things about Future Media Concepts in NY.

Also, you could also take Avid or FCP Certification... since Editors are taking our jobs away!

Hope this helps!
Dallas Taylor

Quote:
One of the benefits offered by my employer is continuous education. I was wondering what classes there are out there in the New York area aside from the ProTools certification courses. I like to think I am pretty savvy when it comes to ProTools, but I suppose that is more up to my peers than myself. Anyway, I was thinking either in the vein of studio design or acoustics. Any thoughts???

Thanks...

Mark

DALLAS TAYLOR CAS/MPSE
/// Sound Designer/Mixer @ Defacto \\\ Twitter Facebook
Old 08-02-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Continuous Audio Education...

Thanks for the post. I have looked at them and thought they would do some pretty nice work. I found a cool forensic audio class up here in NYC as well. I don't know how that would benefit my mixing, but it sounds cool. Lets be honest though, the PT classes would be more useful. Still interested in studio design and acoustics if anyone has any suggestions...

mark