Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > Training

Old 04-06-2017, 01:10 PM

Default Why so expensive son? (cost of audio education)

This is a bit odd guys.

Why does learning music production cost so much money?

I just enrolled my kid in a course for that is going to last just 5 months. The tuition, get this . . . was 9750 dollars.

It would have cost me a lot less to send him to college for a decent degree in business or something.

Another thing, why are these programs so short? How can you cover everything in 5 months?

I like that he's following daddy's footsteps (I learned on my own though but it's only because we didn't have any music schools back then) but the pricing has to come down guys.

90% of the music is made on computers anyways.

Last edited by AlexBoyKing; 01-26-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Why so expensive son? (cost of audio education)

A 5 month long course only cost you $9750? (I assume that's Canadian dollars?).

And you think it would cost less to send him to college?

My college education (music performance, arts management, and information systems, with some theatre thrown in for good measure) cost well over $120,000. And I will never get it paid off...since I work in the music and entertainment business.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 04-06-2017, 02:08 PM

The thing with music/production school boils down to the student. Those that go in believing that this is going to make them famous and/or rich because it looks like lots of fun and glamour, will probably not get their money's worth. Those that go in with a genuine hunger for knowledge and training because they live/eat/breath music, will likely get their money's worth and then some(IOW, those people will find a way, no matter what, and the education speeds the process). Plus, its not cheap to give students a multi-million dollar facility to learn and train in.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-06-2017, 04:21 PM

The reality of finding consistent work in this business is not a glamorous as these schools make it seem on TV, especially if you have to pay back all the loans you took out for education! I think we all might be in the wrong industry...

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 04-06-2017, 04:44 PM

Although my degrees are in business (accounting and MBA), I took a few courses at Houston Community College back in the day just to learn the basics of microphones, signal flow, tape machine operations, mixing boards, etc., and learned a lot. The courses were not expensive at all and the instructors were working studio engineers looking to earn a few extra dollars. The full program was a 2-year associates degree, but I wasn't looking for an additional degree, so I didn't take all of the courses.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:45 AM

If you want to book me for my expertise, it would cost 7500eur a week. I would say ~10grand for ~half a year is a bargain
Old 04-07-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If you want to book me for my expertise, it would cost 7500eur a week. I would say ~10grand for ~half a year is a bargain
... if you manage to get that weekly earnings ... i live in the wrong country then if you can get €7500 a week ..

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-07-2017, 08:46 AM

I went to the Institute of Audio Research in 95 for about 10k. Aside from soldering and electronics, much of what was covered no longer exists (tape machines, splicing etc). It could've got me a job (I interned at a place but decided to go home)... and that would've been worth the admission price I suppose. But I didn't decide to stay in NY.

I live in a very small town and parents are always asking me about sending their kids to school for it. I usually tell em that if the kid was never around ANYTHING like modern record making equip/people... it might be worth it. But I also say that the kind of kid that is really into this stuff would do better to
Buy a little setup, find a studio to intern at, and they'll gain infinitely more practical experience.

I let interns from local schools come here. They cover pro tools for a few weeks if that, they go over mic placement even less, and forget about the psychology of dealing with musicians lol. All that stuff is critical... to me at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:31 PM
Development Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBoyKing View Post
send him to college for a decent degree in business or something.
Do your best to back out of that obligation and send your kid to a real college--state colleges are still comparatively affordable. What he needs--at so many levels--is a true education. That might include some science, some business, some art, some history. And chances are pretty good that any reasonably-sized school will still have some recording courses available.

It's easy for kids to fall in love with pictures of big consoles and the stock shot of some singer in front of a U87. But music production has never been--and will never--be a growth market. It's like being a blacksmith or a coal miner. All available slots will be quickly filled. The career world that's quickly arriving needs people who can synthesize solutions from experience of all sorts.

What your kid is likely to find out pretty soon is that nobody on the production side of the glass really cares about that piece of paper from XYZ recording school. What they do care about is someone who can think and who has some practical skills. Go to any trade show and just about every person in every booth started out with dreams of being a big-shot performer or a big-shot producer. Life handed them a sudden change of direction. The ones that have succeeded with that adjustment have usually had the education to fall back on. They've still got studios at home, but it typically has become a passionate avocation.

In any case, here's to the best of luck as your kid heads out into the world.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:19 PM

Listen to what Michael is saying ^^^

Does you kid want to own and run his own recording studio? Then don't send him to recording school; send him to business school. Have him learn how to start, build and run businesses. THAT'S what running a recording studio is about it. It's a business.

Business is one of the relatively less intense education programs at most schools. And leaves plenty of time for electives like music performance, recording technologies, acoustics and electronics, etc... Along the way he'll study other things like history and art and literature and math, which will all make him better at what it takes to run a successful business (I.e crunching numbers and writing well thought out and eloquent proposals for potential investors).

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One