Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-12-2002, 08:32 AM

Default Video/Film Post Question...

Already posted this inquiry on the other part of the site, but I figured this area might elicit a quicker response.

Greetings once again,
Bit of a tech question here, tell me whatcha think. We're attempting to set up a small post production suite & we want to maximize our DSP & track count. One G4 with D24, Mix Farm,DSP Farm, 882/20, & USD linked to another G4 running PT LE Digi 001. Now, what we're trying to do is get the PTLE machine to run video for us. The video (001) computer has a Fuse card, and the 001 will be clocked to the back of our 882 (which gets ITS respective sync from the USD). A bit confusing, huh? Hopefully this should cover any pull-down/up issues with film projects. So, the video machine will be sample rate locked to the D24 system, and we'll start our sessions on the main rig. The video will be spotted, and the session saved, then transferred to the Digi 001 system via ethernet, then opened on the Digi 001 system for playback. PTLE will be set to accept MMC, MTC, & Digital Sync. We want 640 x 480 video. Basically, PTLE will act as clock-synced VVTR. Any issues known with an attempt like this? Pitfalls or tips would be greatly appreciated.
S.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Video/Film Post Question...

(Crickets chirping, & patient yet determined foot tapping offstage)
Old 02-14-2002, 09:16 AM

C'mon, throw a dawg a bone here... This thing has to gotta work or I'll have to figure out something else real quick. Digi?
Old 02-14-2002, 09:45 AM

what app is running the movie? a quicktime in PT LE? Yech. Like using a shovel to eat icecream. Remember there will probably be substancial amounts of offset, which may change from project to project. It would probably work, but it's DEFINATELY UNSUPPORTED.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

P.S. Good Luck! Let us know if it works, and for how long.
Old 02-14-2002, 10:04 AM

Ray,
Well, what we're trying to do is make PTLE behave like Virtual VTR. Since we've spent so much on everthing else, we can't afford that program right now. I don't really see how it would work that differently. From what I understand, Quicktime references which frame it's supposed to play by the sample rate clock. If we use the positional information (MTC) from the other G4 and lock the sample rates, why wouldn't it work? Maybe you're on to something that I don't yet grasp, but I need more of an explanation as to why it would not work. Thanks for taking the time to respond, by the way.
Stuart
Old 02-14-2002, 10:13 AM

hey stuart.

all i know is that PT LE does not support smpte. but i've been told that indeed mmc + word clock supposedly works. never tried it, but that's what's been recommended to me.

i would say having a QT is more like using a plastic spoon to eat a steak. it gets the job done, and its better than other options (tape), but definitely not ideal. of course we all understand financial limitations, and it sounds like it should work in your situation.

do let us all know how/if it works!

-a-