Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-24-2000, 07:11 AM

Default How do I punch record during sync?

I am recording while synced to a video tape using a Stuio 64 XTC to read the time code off the tape. I can not get PT5 to honor my punch points unless I am offline.

I set the punch points by dragging over the region I want. I see the little red arrows in the timeline. I see the start and end times in transport window. I have options-> Link edit and timeline selection checked. But when I roll the video tape and a few seconds later the XTC engages and PT5 begins to roll. Unfortunately it just starts recording as soon as it starts moving. Even if this is before my punch point.

I didn't see anything in the nice new manual about punch recording issues while synced to external timecode. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Carlos Garza
Pepperland Recording

(9600/200 MP, OS9, PTIII PCI, PT5 Software)
Old 02-24-2000, 08:40 AM

Default Re: How do I punch record during sync?

Hey Pepperland,
If memory serves, there is a preference called "record at adat time code lock" under the operations tab in the preference window. I've fought this problem myself, but not in a while and I can't remember exactly what that pref is called or where it is, sorry. I do remember that if that pref was not selected, then it would record at the current time (which makes it a pain in the butt if you're making pass on a multitrack recording from top to bottom and you've moved your cursor because it won't go in until it passes the cursor). For your purposes though, it sounds like a necessity. I really hope this helps.
--Shawn
Old 02-24-2000, 10:19 AM

Default Re: How do I punch record during sync?

Hey Carlos,
Go To SetUps/Preferences/Operation. There are Two "Online Options" You probably have checked "Record online at Time code lock" selected. You need to select "Record online at insertion/selection".