Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 02-06-2018, 06:05 PM

Default Assigning Groups on MC Control & Mix

So, I saw this thread on the Dock Forum. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=396562

I was totally puzzled because I was sure this was a simple operation on the MC Control. So, I fired up Nuendo 8 and the control. I picked several drum tracks and linked them with the Quick Link feature in N8 (I'm sure there's an equivalent in PT). I hit the group knob, selected slot 1 in the Direct Out Bay, then selected the Drums Group channel. Done, all of the tracks went to that group. I couldn't believe they couldn't do the same with the dock.

What did bother me was that I couldn't do the same with the Mix unit. I ran the exact same sequence as stated with the MC but for some reason, I could not assign anything to the 1st slot. Everything would go into slots 2 - 8 but not slot 1. I could only access it with the mouse/trackball. Why can't I select slot 1 with the knob set and then pick the knob that has the group channel I want to go into that slot?

Here's my process:
1) Select Channels & link them.
2) Press the Group Knob
3) Press knob 1 to select slot 1
4) Press whatever knob has the group channel on it
5) Those channels should now be assigned to that group

This procedure works just fine on the MC Control. But I don't get the same results on the Mix. What am I doing wrong on the Mix?
Old 02-07-2018, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Assigning Groups on MC Control & Mix

Anybody?
Old 02-08-2018, 08:35 AM

Seriously, nobody can answer this for me?

It doesn't make any sense that the process would be any different between the 2 units. The MC instantiates on Slot 1, as directed. The Mix instantiates on any slot except Slot 1 as directed with the identical process. WHY?
Old 02-09-2018, 08:50 AM
Avid

I can give this a go next week. have you tried with the Mix not in channel mode ?
Old 02-09-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
I can give this a go next week. have you tried with the Mix not in channel mode ?
How would that work?
Old 02-09-2018, 10:31 AM
Avid

The knobs on the Mix work in 2 different modes, normal(one at a time) or channel (spilled across all 8) Have you tried this in both modes ?
Old 02-09-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
The knobs on the Mix work in 2 different modes, normal(one at a time) or channel (spilled across all 8) Have you tried this in both modes ?
Oh, right. I was in channel mode (spilled across all 8).

The steps looked identical to the MC Control. Press the group button on both and you'd go into group set up. Both showed Slot 1 initially as "NO Bus." You'd press it and you'd end up in config mode on both. I'd page to the group I wanted on the Control, press it and it would show up in slot 1 of the direct out and the routing out slot of the Nuendo racks.

I'd page to the group I wanted on the Mix, press it and it would show up in slot 2 (or any other slot except 1) of the direct out only.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:17 PM

I THINK I figured it out. You have to push the Slot 1 knob twice before hitting the group knob to get the Mix to send the group assignment to Slot 1.

I don't understand why. You don't have to hit the Slot 1 knob twice on the MC Control to make it engage. But, apparently, the 1st hit on the Mix just puts it in Config mode and the 2nd hit is actually selecting Slot 1 to enter the group selection.