Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 05-23-2018, 09:03 AM

Default Problem using reverb as a send

Hello. I have set up an aux track with my reverb plugin on there and have routed my tracks to that reverb plugin. I select the track pre-fader, but I noticed my track volume, a snare track actually (dry track), is actually dropping in volume. I have the reverb plugin to 100% wet. Please help me here
Old 05-23-2018, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Problem using reverb as a send

Is there compression/limiting being triggered by the reverb?
Old 05-23-2018, 11:40 AM

The only effects on the snare track is EQ
Old 05-23-2018, 12:38 PM

Can you try, as a test, swapping the reverb with a different one and see if you have the same problem? This would at least confirm whether the issue is with the plugin or something else.

This is a long shot, but is it possible that there is a phasing issue where the dry sound is getting nulled? Maybe try reversing the phasing?
Old 05-23-2018, 02:00 PM

Can you post a screenshot of your mixer showing the snare track and the reverb aux?

I've walked into people having similar issues and it's always been about a slightly routing mistake (most common being accidentally routing the audio track to the reverb as in out > in and then also sending the send so there's no dry track actually going out to the print/main output bus)
Old 05-23-2018, 03:27 PM

If I lower the track volume, I can hear the wet signal only, so routing is not the problem. It seems to happen with all reverb plugins
Old 05-23-2018, 03:54 PM

Best to post a picture of your tracks/settings etc or just post your session with just the tracks in question. What you’re describing is not very clear.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia_boi View Post
Hello. I have set up an aux track with my reverb plugin on there and have routed my tracks to that reverb plugin. I select the track pre-fader, but I noticed my track volume, a snare track actually (dry track), is actually dropping in volume. I have the reverb plugin to 100% wet. Please help me here
A screen shot would be way more helpful...... Given that forum communication is always difficult your title wording is a bit confusing to me ( because you don't really "use a reverb as a Send".... You can use a Reverb set up in parallel routing and then "send" " to" that reverb ( from multiple tracks )

So to clarify you are sending (the snare etc. tracks) via a bus from the send section of the track, and the output for the track/s is the mains or sub bus outputs, correct ? And then that bus for the send is the input for the Aux/reverb track, which is also outputting to the main outs correct ? Which you should be doing ...
If it is this latter situation , then there is some other issue as far as that dry track dropping in volume. Also to clarify are you actually seeing the fader for the snare track physically lower ? Or are you simply hearing a drop in level but no fader movement ?

Here is an example of a typical template of mine for parallel reverb for the drum tracks (and just so you know the level for the individual tracks with the sends to the M7 verb track, stay at the same level whether the send is active, muted, or no send on the track at all, the level stays the same . (note ignore the lowered level on the M7 Verb track ) because for parallel it is supposed to be at 0 db or unity gain, and the different drum sends will be lowered to taste, as pictured on the open snare "send" fader

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 05-24-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia_boi View Post
If I lower the track volume, I can hear the wet signal only, so routing is not the problem. It seems to happen with all reverb plugins
That doesn't really prove anything. In my scenario that would happen too and the routing would still be wrong.

Post a screenshot of your mixer -- might as well have the reverb open too so we can see the plugin settings in the same screenshot.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:55 PM

I will point out that every reverb I own drops the level from the input to the output, but my understanding is that the volume of the original snare track is lower, correct? I am assuming you checked the meters and the output signal is actually lower at the mix bus?