Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 02-17-2012, 02:23 PM

Default Thinking about buying Eleven Rack, need help!

Hey guys!

I'm going to upgrade to PT10, and then i thought "why not pay a little more and get the eleven rack as well?"

I love the idea of having amps and stuff on DSP!

But here is the thing: I'm currently on Guitar Rig 5, and as much as I like the amps, mic's, cabinets etc, iäm mostly using the compressors, eq's, reverbs, delays etc.

Are there alot to choose from in those areas in eleven rack?

I don't play guitar myself, but i like to use guitar FX on my synth's drums etc. I don't play live either.

Are there anyone else like me, if yes, what do you think about it? both quality of sounds, range of FX etc. All opinions are helpful!

Basicly, how does this thing work as an FX processor in a studio enviroment?

And one more thing, how funky can this be? I love wah wah, 60's and 70's guitar tones from funk and soul so i wonder if this can do this or is it just metal, pop and rock?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Thinking about buying Eleven Rack, need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwalker2 View Post
Hey guys!

I'm going to upgrade to PT10, and then i thought "why not pay a little more and get the eleven rack as well?"

I love the idea of having amps and stuff on DSP!

But here is the thing: I'm currently on Guitar Rig 5, and as much as I like the amps, mic's, cabinets etc, iäm mostly using the compressors, eq's, reverbs, delays etc.

Are there alot to choose from in those areas in eleven rack?
Here is the best place to find out what the 11R has got;
http://www.avid.com/US/products/Eleven-Rack_2

Quote:
I don't play guitar myself, but i like to use guitar FX on my synth's drums etc. I don't play live either.

Are there anyone else like me, if yes, what do you think about it? both quality of sounds, range of FX etc. All opinions are helpful!

Basicly, how does this thing work as an FX processor in a studio enviroment?
Iv'e never used it for anything other than what it was designed for, guitar. It is an excellent piece of kit being flexible (Re-amping, Live & Studio etc) and has great tones.

Quote:
And one more thing, how funky can this be? I love wah wah, 60's and 70's guitar tones from funk and soul so i wonder if this can do this or is it just metal, pop and rock?
You will have no problem getting tones associated with the 60's & 70's.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 02-17-2012, 08:10 PM

Keep in mind that you can still use the 11R in conjunction with Guitar Rig, such as using the effects from Guitar Rig and the amps from the 11R.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:21 PM

well, guitar rig is killing my processor, so i'm looking for something to kill guitar rig a dsp based processor box seemed like the answer, but maybe not.

I've already heard alot about 11r being great for guitar, but is there anyone that uses is for other stuff? Maybe routed a dubstep lead, or some backing vocals through it?

In my mind, if you buy something like this, and if it does what it seems to do, i would go crazy with this! (Sadly, I can't try it for myself...) So that's why i'm curious how this stands up for sounds that's not a guitar? can it be a creative platform, or will it just make everything "guitar-ish"?

Take for example guitar rig - It does great guitar amp simulations, but also do DJ FX, Mixing Tools, IR Reverbs etc. It's not just "Guitar". If this had a dsp platform like 11r, it would be my choice. But instead it's eating cpu, so I use it sparingly.

And, how many instances of 11r can you have running in pro tools? just one? or unlimited?
Old 02-18-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
And, how many instances of 11r can you have running in pro tools? just one? or unlimited?
The Eleven Rack is not a plugin. Its does not work the way you are describing.

The Eleven Rack is a hardware unit that processes the input signal in the unit then streams the audio into Pro Tools to be recorded(written to the hard drive).

Its not a plugin where you can stack it on a bunch of tracks then adjust each instance differently for several track concurrently.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-18-2012, 01:00 PM

Oh, i thought it powered the eleven plug-in as well. I thought it was both standalone and, when connected to pro tools, a dsp based plug-in. this is not the case then?
Old 02-18-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Oh, i thought it powered the eleven plug-in as well. I thought it was both standalone and, when connected to pro tools, a dsp based plug-in. this is not the case then?
no. What you are describing sounds more like the UAD-2

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-18-2012, 01:22 PM

Yes, i thought it was exactly like UAD haha.

Sorry for my confusion, but i found this in one of your videos Benoni: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdh7Q...eature=related
There you show eleven rack, as a plug-in, inside of pro tools. but that version isn't dsp based? On the avid site it says:
Quote:
With its dual high-resolution DSP power, Eleven Rack—coupled with Pro Tools software—enables you to create big, complex mixes, without placing a burden on your computer.
I can't be the only one thinking it is very much like a UAD with that description
Old 02-18-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, i thought it was exactly like UAD haha.

Sorry for my confusion, but i found this in one of your videos Benoni: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdh7Q...eature=related
There you show eleven rack, as a plug-in, inside of pro tools. but that version isn't dsp based? On the avid site it says:

I can't be the only one thinking it is very much like a UAD with that description
That window is not a plug-in, its just a GUI to control the hardware with a mouse instead of turning knobs and such on the unit itself. Kind of like an on screen midi controller, nothing more.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-18-2012, 08:15 PM

There is an Eleven Plugin, but it is a separate purchase, and does not come with the 11R. It also does not have nearly as much amps and effects.