Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-05-2020, 09:04 AM

Default Pre-Fader vs Post-Fader Metering

Hi,

I am over thinking this, but I am hearing different viewpoints on pre and post metering for mixing and recording. I use post fader metering for mixing and just check levels before recording with pre-fader metering. Is this correct? I think I have been fine but am now second guessing myself. If anyone has a moment to add what is the norm and/or how they use pre-fader if at all?

Thank you!
Old 12-05-2020, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Pre-Fader vs Post-Fader Metering

To each their own, but here's my 2 cents:

I almost NEVER use post-fade metering. Why? Because I want to know what's going on IN the track, and the volume(fader) level is not part of that which I want/need. Consider; pulling the fader down with post-fade metering might make the meter show a nice happy green level, while there is clipping going on before the fader. Pre-fade meters tell me what's happening before the fader(so the fader doesn't give a false impression of anything).

The ONLY time I use post-fade metering is when I need to balance several(as in more than 3 or 4) tracks with similar audio, such as 14 tracks of violins, or 8 tracks of BGV's. And, as soon as those tracks are balanced out, my metering goes right back to pre-fade. The rest of mixing/balancing needs to be done with your ears and not your eyes

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-05-2020, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Pre-Fader vs Post-Fader Metering

Thank you, just over thinking on my end. Thank you!