Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2021, 08:41 AM

Default EuControl Settings - Explanation

All,

I have the latest version of EuControl installed for my S1 and Dock and it's running great. Being new to this application I can't find any documentation specific to the EuControl Settings. More specifically the General and Preferences tab of the application. Is there any way to find out what all of these options do?

Thanks,

Rick
Old 11-04-2021, 12:08 PM

Default Re: EuControl Settings - Explanation

Hi,
Follow this link to the EuControl Product Guides page on our Knowledge Base, and dl that most recent "Using EuControl Surfaces.pdf."
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...Product-Guides

M
Old 11-04-2021, 01:34 PM

Hi,

I appreciate the link and have looked at various documents there but can't find what I am looking for. Do you know if there are any documents that specifically say what each selection does in EuControl Settings? While some of it is self-explanatory some of it I'd like to know more specifics.

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-04-2021, 05:15 PM

The "Using EuControl Surfaces" guide I suggested has a chapter in it called "EuControl" that describes every setting in the EuControl Settings tabs. Hopefully that'll get you closer to what you're looking for?
M
Old 11-04-2021, 08:51 PM

Hi M!

This is absolutely perfect. Thanks for your help with this I appreciate it!

Rick
Old 11-04-2021, 10:32 PM

If you have time I have a follow-up to this. I've gone through a good part of the EuControl documents and need your advice.

On my desk I have an S1 with an iPad Pro 12.9” to the left and a Dock with an iPad Air 10.9” to the right. It would be very helpful to understand what seasoned people with a similar setups advise when it comes to which encoders work best for dialing in plugins. Right now I have been using the larger iPad Pro (on the S1) and the encoders on the S1 to control my plugins. The Dock with the smaller iPad Air is set to use Meter Mode. At this time I can’t find any way to benefit from its encoders which feel a lot tighter (better) to me than the encoders on the S1. I don’t understand if you can use the encoder on the Dock as well given the Master and Hybrid configuration. Part of my reason for getting the documentation for EuControl is to understand what my options are. As an example on Page 73 of the “Using EuCon Control Surfaces” there is the following statement:

“2– My Surfaces
My Surfaces shows the media controllers connected to your instance of EuControl. The Type column shows an icon for each de- vice. The Surface or Master Tablet column shows the name of the device, and for Control app tablets indicates whether Avid Control is functioning in Master, Meters, or Hybrid mode (Master and Hybrid tablets are indicated in bold).
The top-to-bottom order corresponds to the left-to-right order of the surfaces, respectively. The leftmost surface is assigned to fader strip 1. Use the up and down arrow buttons (located to the right of My Surfaces) to reorder the list.”

In looking at the My Surfaces area the iPad Air is tied to the S1 and Avid Control running on the larger iPad Pro appears Bold. Is this my Master Tablet? I can also see that by highlighting the control or app I can use the up / down arrows to move the order. I don’t understand the benefit here which is what I’m getting to. I’ve attached a screen shot of my EuControl Settings under the “Surfaces” tab.

So, if you had my setup how would you set them up I.e. which is Master, which iPad goes on what surface, etc? Also, I am planning on adding another S1 very soon. Is it recommended to have another tablet for that?

Thanks for your guidance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My EuControl Settings.jpg (28.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-05-2021, 08:20 AM
Avid

At the moment the Pro is the Master and should be on the Dock (in Portrait mode), the Aire on the S1 as its following it meters wise. This is the way I would run as the Pro (Master) in Portait mode is a lot of useful info. If you want the S1 meters to line up though you should swap it around but then you end up with less functionality on the DOCK screen.
Old 11-05-2021, 08:53 AM

Hi Eddie and thanks.

In EuControl do I need to remove everything and start again to set it up differently? If so could you give me the steps involved? It's almost a shame to sway because the sizes of the iPad seem to fit well on the surfaces; both in Landscape mode but ultimately I like the encoders on the Dock better.

If you keep in mind that I'll be adding another S1 does that change anything? In another thread I think you said with two S1's thatplugins could be controlled with the combined 16 encoders on twi S1's??

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:12 AM
Avid

You can take thing in and out of the MyList as you like. Just make sure the tablet you want to follow S1 is always dragged on top of it. Yes with 2 x S1 you get 16 knobs at a time.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:01 AM

Hi Eddie,

Can you please look at the attachments I'm sending? Was this order what you were suggesting? I removed all control surfaces as well as apps from EuControl then started over. If this is the correct sequence can you tell me why this would be preferred over my original setup? It seems I'm wasting the use of the iPad Pro for just metering.
Curious...
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6911.jpg (79.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6898.jpg (37.9 KB, 0 views)