Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2014, 11:10 PM

Default PT 11 HD native and RME Fireface UFX

Hi there all,

Can someone tell me if I upgrade from PT 11 to PT 11 HD native will I be able to use my fire face UFX as audiointerface. It's not really clear to me.

thanxs!

Adrian
Old 12-18-2014, 11:17 PM

Default Re: PT 11 HD native and RME Fireface UFX

You can use HD software with any interface.

But I'm confused by your question and terminology. HD Native is a bundle of hardware and software. It is hardware and includes the HD version of Protools software.

Protools 11 is just software. There is no way to upgrade from regular PT11 to HD11, unless you also have the Complete Toolkit and do that special combo update.

But if you do get HD software somehow, you can definitely use it with your RME, or any other interface.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:39 PM

I have ProTools 11HD Native with OMNI.... I also have the RME UFX which I use all the time as the ProTools interface... So much more flexible and yes, it works an absolute treat!
Haven't turned the OMNI on in months, so not even using the HD Native card. (expensive dongle)
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 12-26-2014, 10:53 AM

WORD :)! same with me. And even with my HDX.. i feel the same
(voice count!)
RME an HD10 work very fine together on OSX 10.7 and 10.8.
i´ll move to 11 soon.

cheers,m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
I have ProTools 11HD Native with OMNI.... I also have the RME UFX which I use all the time as the ProTools interface... So much more flexible and yes, it works an absolute treat!
Haven't turned the OMNI on in months, so not even using the HD Native card. (expensive dongle)
Old 12-26-2014, 11:13 AM

RME interfaces are, in my experience, the most stable third party interfaces to use with Pro Tools. UFX is a beast. You'll have no problem with UFX and PT11HD
Old 12-26-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
RME interfaces are, in my experience, the most stable third party interfaces to use with Pro Tools. UFX is a beast. You'll have no problem with UFX and PT11HD

I have to agree. Though the Omni has better conversion, the RME UFX is much more flexible (more IO) and works great with PT11HD as a 3rd party interface. I like that you can route any input to any output without any latency. I have most of my pres patched into the UFX and use Adat into Pro Tools via a Digi192. This way I can use the UFX with Reason 8, Studio One etc without having to repatch everything.
Plugins: McDSP, Sonnox, Waves, Brainworx, IK, UAD
Instagram
YouTube
Old 12-26-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazylain View Post
I have to agree. Though the Omni has better conversion, the RME UFX is much more flexible (more IO) and works great with PT11HD as a 3rd party interface. I like that you can route any input to any output without any latency. I have most of my pres patched into the UFX and use Adat into Pro Tools via a Digi192. This way I can use the UFX with Reason 8, Studio One etc without having to repatch everything.
I use RME with both my computers, both operate as multi-client ASIO interfaces, they work how you wish every interface worked. Switching PT sample rates, using a different one for Windows, I still get proper voices for everything. Loopback too, when I decide to record tutorial videos.

Plus no fans. Everything works out, and it is silent. RME is sweeeeet! I tried no spending once, it sucked. If you spend the extra bux for RME you will reap the benefits quickly.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:00 PM

The UFX is a great all rounder. Add the Advanced remote and you're completely sorted. Program the buttons to do what you'd like. (I've added a footswitch port to mine to control Talkback via foot while the fingers are doing other things).
... and for a Surround controller, it's awesome. Just seven entire setup to a snap shot. It's just superb.

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 12-26-2014, 06:14 PM

I've been looking at the UFX also as a future upgrade.

Does the front USB port really work as a stand alone recorder?

Can you route the input to both Protools and the USB recorder at the same time? (Thereby making a live back up in case Protools pukes all over itself in the middle of a gig?)

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 12-26-2014, 06:20 PM

Absolutely... The USB recorder will record any channel on the UFX, whether it be an input, output, submix etc... (oh, and you can assign any of the channels to any of the 60 available tracks)