Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 02-15-2011, 02:12 PM

Default Re: First 2 problems with HD Native?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
Thanks Smithcok for 'taking one for team' about the MC77 problem. I hope we can all benefit from that answer.. Though I think here on the forum there's a BUG problem thread -- that we don't need to pay for. Asking about a 'known bug' doesn't often get you an immediate answer for the $ you pay. I will only pay for a call if something in my system is wrong -- not if something with a plugin is wrong. It's a tricky day working with AVID now. They're effectively forcing us to hit our 'manuals' before we call them and read HUNDREDS of posts here before we call. It's frustrating - but I think I can understand it from their point of view with all the user error calls they probably have gotten over 20 years. It's kind of like the 'deductible' for ER visits that keep going up and up on our health insurance policies. They want us to be REAAAAALY desperate before we go to the ER. Same at AVID - they want us to be TOTALLY DESPERATE and LOSING $ per HOUR before we PAY them to help us.. -- It IS what it IS.... -and to be fair -- most technology companies have 'paid tech support' these days. I just don't understand why there's not a CUSTOMER SERVICE phone# or email to even SORT OUT whether or not we NEED an ASC with the question we have. You simply CAN'T CONTACT AVID at all except for a SALES call.
I think it's just greed. They always charged for support calls (well, maybe not at the very beginning 20 yrs. ago...can't remember for sure). It used to be $3/min. with the first 3 minutes free and a cap of $75. That's about $180/hour. Maybe in some cases they got stuck for a long time, but that was probably not the norm. I've spent lots with them on calls and most were no more than a 20 min. problem. A flat rate of $80 for anything is just not right.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNS View Post
I think it's just greed. They always charged for support calls (well, maybe not at the very beginning 20 yrs. ago...can't remember for sure). It used to be $3/min. with the first 3 minutes free and a cap of $75. That's about $180/hour. Maybe in some cases they got stuck for a long time, but that was probably not the norm. I've spent lots with them on calls and most were no more than a 20 min. problem. A flat rate of $80 for anything is just not right.
Edit: see bottom post. While it was slow to happen and I was in the dark for awhile, things are moving. Thank you Avid.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:57 PM

Oh, yes, I got the same 30-min. wait two days in a row and had to hang up before anyone answered because I ran out of time on my end. Then the third day I called and the automated system wouldn't even accept my ASC. Called back on another number, waited 20 min., finally got a person, and was told the ASC system was down. This, coupled with the hassle of having to get an ASC to start with is totally unacceptable for a professional support system. I don't think I ever waited more than 3 minutes on the old system and certainly didn't have to hassle with going through the purchase of a ticket to reach support. Would be lots of fun if someone needed support in the middle of a session.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNS View Post
Oh, yes, I got the same 30-min. wait two days in a row and had to hang up before anyone answered because I ran out of time on my end. Then the third day I called and the automated system wouldn't even accept my ASC. Called back on another number, waited 20 min., finally got a person, and was told the ASC system was down. This, coupled with the hassle of having to get an ASC to start with is totally unacceptable for a professional support system. I don't think I ever waited more than 3 minutes on the old system and certainly didn't have to hassle with going through the purchase of a ticket to reach support. Would be lots of fun if someone needed support in the middle of a session.
EDIT: I've preserved the original down there, but Avid did update my case as of 10:30pm, and it helps a lot. My suggestion would be that they send out this type of email earlier to not leave the customer hanging. That being said, I now have a place to email/update/etc. This is exactly what I want as a customer seeking support. Thank you.

Yeah... you know - I completely understand their decision to charge for support (especially since they supposedly give free support with new purchases... although I never got mine). Look at my posts (especially on GS.com) and you'll see that I am the first one to defend companies who charge for these types of services.

But

If you are going to charge $80, at least have a system in place that is more expedient and actually gets people answers. 5 years ago I had some problems with Digidesign gear, sent a free email, and got things resolved in a few hours over email. I would gladly pay for that service. But with this one, I paid $80 to wait 30 minutes on hold for a half a phone call and am now completely in the dark as to what happens next/what I should do to continue my support case.

If I paid $80 to quickly get my problems addressed as a communicative work in progress and/or solved, I wouldn't be here questioning the value of the customer service.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:48 PM

I never minded paying on their Pro Access system which I described. I thought that was fair, but the new way not so much so.