Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-24-2009, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE 10th Anniversary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocalvoodoo View Post
I was also pretty excited when I got my 001 because it came with Dverb for free, on a floppy no less, which was some promotion Digi was doing I think.
Personally these sorts of statements should be quoted the next time an individual cries foul over upgrade pricing.

A contextual history adds validity. Regards.

filosofem
Old 09-24-2009, 11:44 PM

I had the Digidesign Session 8 in 1993, does anyone remember that?
Old 09-25-2009, 12:03 AM

yes i do
got to love System Requirements
  • 486 DX, 66 MHz or greater
  • Pentium 60 MHz or greater
  • 8 MB RAM required, 16 MB highly recommended
  • SVGA monitor and video card, 800 X 600 minimum resolution, 256 colors minimum, 64K colors for .AVI playback.
  • Windows 3.1 with DOS 6.0, or Windows 95
  • External SCSI hard disk (connects directly to Session 8 SCSI/DSP card, no SCSI adapter required)
  • When using Windows 3.1/Windows for Workgroups, you must have Video for Windows installed to use Session 8's video import and playback features.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:15 AM

I was working a dialogue editing job on a TDM system when the 001 came out. My home setup consisted of Vegas for multitrack purposes and I was using a trusty RME card and my DA-P1 for recording.

I tried Protools Free, but being used to the one-key shortcuts from the TDM version, both Protools Free and LE felt crippled beyond repair, I turned away in disgust and stuck to my little Vegas app. It was definitely not the best in editing, but it was usable on almost any machine and didn't rely on a closed plugin standard. My love/hate relationship with Digidesign had taken its first major hit.

Happy Birthday anyway. Protools LE is usable to me today, and a lot less stupid :) .
Old 09-25-2009, 08:28 AM

Congrats PTLE!! Hey Shane good to see you my friend. It has been a long road indeed. My old AMD 761 is sitting in a corner with a burned out hard drive, my 001 is still in my rack collecting dust and my new M-Audio Firewire interface is connected to Logic Pro, Garage Band, and an iMac. LOL
My how times change.

Allen :)
Old 09-25-2009, 01:24 PM

Wow Allen... long time no see! Hope all is well with you.

Here's my first DaveC report from 2001:
Win 98SE
PT Version: 5.1
Tracks: 13
MOBO: Abit bx-133
CPU: P3 800EB
RAM: 256 PC133

13 whole tracks before the PIII crapped out... and I was thrilled with that!

Editing a song right now with 39 tracks, ADC, plug's all over the place... not bad for an old 001, eh?
Think I've gotten my moneys worth...
Old 09-25-2009, 02:26 PM

My Digi 001 is what brought me here to the DUC.

We had a Mix System at the studio, and the thought of Pro-Tooling at home - man I saved up and bought an 001, and put it in my Girlfriend's PC right away... i think it was a 200mhz ASUS - something sumthin'

Windows? IRQ's? Resource Fork DATA?????

Oh... RAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, the LONG threads of helping my ass understand stuff, fix Stuff, bring Mac Sessions home from the studio, before Mac PC Compat, and in the early Stages of compatibility..

He actually built an app, overnight once.. coded a freakin application to fix some corrupt Aiff's that had turned to 0db of white noise.

Yes, Miracles of the day!

For as much as we all bitch, the DUC, THIS era of making music, is exciting, there is help, and respect in here, at least for me, and some old friends...

Nikki - I'm so glad you're still on the DUC, (Or back on the DUC), I hope you're doin better, my thoughts are with you to get well.

Rail - geeze, what can I say... you Tutored, helped, spelled out, fixed, saved my ass... you helped me make records, and we've never "Worked together"

I disappeared from here for a few years, I'm not sure how many people from the "Old days" - (I had a few different ID's till I settled on Kingfish) remember me, or some of these conversations, but there was some SERIOUS troubleshooting going on !! :)

Happy Anniversary LE - and Congratulations DUC for being such a great board!

200mhz Asus 001 to an HD2 Accel at home, I've enjoyed the journey, and the DUC the whole way !

Cheers everyone.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 09-25-2009, 02:53 PM

"Wow Allen... long time no see! Hope all is well with you."

Hey man, it's good to see you too. It really has been awhile. I'm ready to get back to some recording. You still using the 001? Sweet!!

I don't even remember how to do quotes here anymore. And what is up with my laptop thread getting truncated and doesn't even have my original page anymore?

Good times :) Great to be back!

Allen
Old 09-25-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Hallada View Post
Congrats PTLE!!
Well, I'll be...It's Dr. Allenstein!! Excuse me, I'm still pickin' myself up from the floor.

Quote:
Hey Shane good to see you my friend.
And you to bro-ski! Looks like we reached our first milestone...decade number one. YOU are definitely one of the pioneers who's responsible for pushing this native system to the extreme. The stories we can tell. I think the first DUC novel is in order.

Quote:
It has been a long road indeed. My old AMD 761 is sitting in a corner with a burned out hard drive, my 001 is still in my rack collecting dust and my new M-Audio Firewire interface is connected to Logic Pro, Garage Band, and an iMac. LOL
My how times change.
The AMD 2500 series was another that changed history in many areas. Great to see you chime in. I invited Rail, davec and a few other pioneers here to chime in. Let's see if they make a grand appearance.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-25-2009, 04:36 PM

Good to see you again Kingfish..
We should have cocktails and fingerfood for this occasion.
It would be good to have DaveC drop by again... maybe dabasstard... graveleye...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Hallada View Post
You still using the 001? Sweet!!
Yup. I still use it in a basic editing suite... still fully functional. (Which is more than I can say for myself.)
Much as it will break my heart, I'm about to replace the old guy for good.

Shane is right... you're a legend Allen.